Sunday, June 19, 2011

Blueberry Sauce and Happy Father's Day!



The rest of the world calls them Dutch Babies, but we've always called them German Pancakes and today they are coming with Blueberry Sauce on top.

This was not the post I was planning on today----but sometimes life is crazy and throws obstacles in your path.

Okay, the truth?  My obstacle was that I slept in to 8:30!!!  We are normally early risers and are up at 5 or 5:30 am without an alarm clock.  But this morning we made a 'grandchildren transfer' at 4:30am, to send them on their way home, and afterwards,   we sat down in our recliners/couch and thought we would doze for an hour.....but no, we woke up at 8:30!   I seriously feel my day is half wasted.
How do you sleeper in-ers do that? (I'm in panic mode---the day is wasting away!!)  (my morning hour of  'sit and have coffee and read my book' is gone!)

We still managed to have breakfast on the patio and I made this fast Father's Day meal of German Pancakes with Blueberry Sauce.   I've posted about  the German Pancakes  2 years ago here, so today's post will be about the easiest Blueberry sauce  ever!



Most of all I wanted to wish all the men in my life a Happy Father's Day!
We may be far apart, but not in our hearts!

Happy Father's day to:

My Dad, who is in Whistler, BC, taking my nephew to a hockey tournament.
My husband,  who is putting the sealer on our newly tiled kitchen floor.
My sons, one in Nevada,  who is at church with his 2-year old twins, one in Nevada who just Skyped his daugther in Virginia, one who is having a lazy morning with his daughter in Arizona,  one in Washington, who is anxiously awaiting the arrival of his boys from Texas, to spend the summer with him.
And my 2 father-in-laws, one on vacation in Washington and one being taken out to brunch by his daughter.

Happy Father's Day Guys!  Wish you were here for this great Blueberry sauce
(there is some leftover---come for vanilla ice cream later)


Blueberry Sauce--the easiest ever!

Fresh blueberries--about 2 cups
1/4 cup of water
3/4 cup of sugar
lemon zest
1 Tbls fresh lemon juice

Heat it all until it begins to boil and then cook until thickened  (about  30 minutes)


That's it!
You can put it on pancakes, waffles, Dutch Babies,  ice cream, oatmeal...whatever sounds good to you.



I am going to link this great little blueberry sauce to  Weekend Cooking at Beth Fish Reads.  (she is a cookbook collector--so she's fantastic in my book!)
That way...you can head on over there to see all the other  food related posts.  It's a fun one because  it can be anything related to food...cooking,  a review, an interesting food article or tidbit.   You name it.

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Fresh blueberries never hang around long enough to be cooked into anything around here.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, I feel EXACTLY as you do if I sleep in, which rarely happens. I'm normally up at 6:00 a.m. on work days and anywhere from 6:00 a.m. - 7:00 a.m. on days off. 7:00 a.m. though is late..... I could never ever sleep in until (shuddering with revulsion) noon like my kids can on the weekends, lol. Happy Father's Day to Handyman!

Karen said...

This looks really good. I made a blueberry-pomegrante sauce once for venison and it was very good. I love Dutch Babies and don't make them often enough! Don't you love to eat outside? My gardener is finished putting the framing up for the deck and today he's putting the decking material on, so it won't be long!

Carol @ There's Always Thyme to Cook said...

Looks amazing. I love to sleep in once in a while, rarely happens any more. But how nice to wake up and have something so delicious!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

Perfect sauce! When you gather all the men folk, and serve them some Ice cream with this delicious sauce, your day will be done! Have a nice evening!

Beth F said...

We eat blueberries by the handful around here -- I'll have to buy extra when they appear in the farmers market to make some of this sauce. A wonderful excuse to make waffles!

Heather said...

We've been going blueberry crazy this week. one of the stores has them at a super price.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...