Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Monday and it's Audio Week




Is it really Audio Book Week?
That is really interesting to me as I just now....(as in 30 seconds ago) finished this book on my Mp3 Player, and then began looking at blogs and what do I see?  Logos and posts for Audio Love!!
It must be fate.  Which is also weird, because the name of the Audio book I just finished is  "The FATES Will Find Their Way."

okay, so it's really not all that interesting...it's just been a long day and little things are exciting me.  Please bear with me while I meander my way around this blog post.

  Let me tell you a bit about my audio book background.
My history with the audio book only dates back about....hmmmm.... 60 days.  And only because I got envious of how many books  Sheila from Book Journey could read.   One day she wrote about her books in the bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, car and Ipod.   And I got to thinking...I love books, I love to read and, I'm going to die before I get thru my TBR pile!

So, what could I do about that? 
Read more often !!  Or listen to books more often.
 (Stephen King says this too: Read everywhere, all the time, any time), so I learned how to use my Mp3player and how to find my place on the CD player in the car and I found Audible.com and the rest is history! 
 I've listened to 4 Audio-books in the last 60 days and I love it. 
I've noticed that my  reading rate has gone up.
But as other do,  I have to be walking, or cleaning, or gardening while I listen to an audio book.   I've been walking to work and it seems to take me no time at all when I'm listening to a book!
I never thought I would like it, but I do.

In addition to Audio Book Week,  I'm listing the books I read last week for 



As I said, I just now finished  on Audio,
The Fates Will Find Their Way by Hannah Pittard.


This book is written with a collective voice, a collective narrative.  "We" instead of "I"   such as  (my favorite line from the book)
"We were creeps, we were jerks, we were idiots. We couldn't help ourselves. We were boys."
Fates is about a girl, Nora Lindel, who disappeared when she was 16 from her hometown.  Throughout the course of the book, the boys, and then men, of the town, over the course of 25 years,  wonder what could have happened to her.
They play out different scenarios in their mind, some good, some bad, but their memories always come back to Nora and what might have been.
It intrigued me very much.  I don't know why that appeals to me...A memoir, or a what might have been kind of book, but that coupled with the collective voice of the boys who knew her when really made it a good read for me.  Or a good listen, as the case may be.


I also finished "Freak the Mighty" by  Rodman Philbrick.   A Children's, Middle Grade book about a pair of unlikely friends. 
I enjoyed it.  It sits on my grandchildren's book shelf.


And last but not least, I finished  "Every Last One" by Anna Quindlen.
You can read my review here.



I don't know what's on the list for the coming week.
Perhaps some Audio, or I'll have to go check out the rest of the It's Monday posts!


3 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

AHHHH.... how sweet you mentioned me! :) I love that you are enjoying audio! Its so fantastic! And audible too! Now I need to write down a couple of the tiles you rave about here! :)

bermudaonion said...

I discovered audio books after I started blogging and I am totally hooked on them now.

Jen - devourer of books said...

I love how quickly you were inducted into our audiobook cult! I bet FATES was an amazing audiobook. Welcome!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...