Thursday, August 21, 2014

Friday Friend Recipe #21-- Brandied Steakside Mushrooms


 If there is anything harder to take a photo of.....uh...it could be mushrooms. I did my best tho.  
The Handyman grilled a  Tri-Tip roast the other day.  I understand that Tri-Tip is strictly a  western cut of meat, because the rest of the world has never heard of it.  It's beef.





The tri-tip is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin subprimal cut. It is a small triangular muscle
 Often labeled "Santa Maria steak", the roast is most popular in the Central Coast of California and Central Valley regions of California,and has begun to enjoy increasing favor elsewhere for its full flavor, lower fat content, and comparatively lower cost.

It's good and easy to grill and sliced.   I said 'roast' but some people call it a Tri-Tip steak.   We grill it and then slice it.  Perfect for mushrooms.
These were really good too.  A bit different than my usual, butter and garlic salt rendition.
As you know...it's from the Friday Friend Cookbook, and this one is from my friend Theda.  (Please read here all about  her and all the other Theda recipes)
She's one of my oldest and dearest friends.


The reason these are a bit different is because they have brandy in them. And for some strange reason I have Brandy just sitting around.  I have no idea why as the Handyman and I are not ones to sit around in our dressing gowns with a snifter of brandy in the winter evenings.
I don't even own a dressing gown.
Or a brandy snifter.

I loved these mushrooms!
They are a perfect side dish anytime, but very fancy when you have company.
I am not going to retype the recipe because I think you can see it here well enough.

From the Friday Friend Cookbook:




And now, Theda!
I have a fear of repeating myself when it comes to FF Stories.

A few years ago,  My parents and their friends floated down the
Grand Ronde river in North Eastern Oregon and they invited us to go.
We in turn, invited Theda and her husband John.
The four of us were the youngest on the river trip.... and we are all over 50!

It's like where's Waldo in this picture.   I mean for finding the 'youngest' ones. All of the sudden we don't look so young.
How did that happen?

It was a lot of fun.

This was a July 4th weekend.  Look at all that snow in the mountains still.



John and Theda getting their safety gear on, so they don't drown if they fall out of the boat.


Relaxing during a lunch break.






These mountain goats watched us float by.






1 comment:

Karen said...

The mushrooms look so good! It's pretty much how I make mine, but I've never added brandy (until next time!).

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...