Sunday, August 16, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #68 -- Quick and Easy Baked Beans

 
 
Friday Friend Recipe #68: Quick and Easy Baked Beans
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.

I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #68

Linda's
Quick and Easy Baked Beans
 
 
 
 
This is the classic picnic side-dish!
And canned beans makes it true to it's name--quick and easy!
 
And Hooray for me!
I've completed all the bbq/baked bean recipes in the cookbook.
(sigh)
It feels so good to have one little section completed.
 



Quick and Easy Baked Beans
Linda Ornelas
Walla Walla, WA
 
2 cans, 15 oz, butter beans--drained and rinsed
1/2 cup chopped onion
3/4 cup brown sugar -- tightly packed
1/2 cup ketchup
2 slices of bacon -- chopped
 
Mix the first four ingredients in a lightly greased casserole dish.
Sprinkle the bacon over the top of the beans.
Cook, uncovered, in a 350F degree oven for 1 1/2 hours.
 
Great for a potluck!




This is my cousin Linda's  4th  appearance in the  Countdown!
 
She was always going to make a cookbook--(she's a great cook), but now, when I am done with my challenge (in a gazillion years) she can just print off her own recipes from the blog and TA-DA!  Her cookbook will be done.
 
In this photo below (with her daughter Jenn) she looks just like her mother, my aunt.
When I first saw the picture, I was really taken aback.
 
But this is supposed to be a story or fun fact about the owner of the recipe here, so.....
 
Fun fact about my cousin Linda:
A few years ago while we were talking, she said that our grandmother and made chili every Christmas Eve for supper.
 
I smiled politely....because ...UM NO, SHE DID NOT. Not my grandmother.
I had never had chili on Christmas eve.  How silly is that?  And I was wondering why Linda was making stuff up?  Or maybe she had her confused with her Granny.
So, I asked my dad.... what did Grandmother make for dinner on Christmas Eve?
He said..... Chili.
 
My mom and I were like "WHA..????
We can't ever remember having chili on Christmas Eve.
 
But.... I guess that Linda is not delusional after all!
Good thing. 
~laughing~
 
Really tho, Linda and my dad grew up together, as my dad was only 6 years older than my cousin.  AND she lived with them, so they do remember having chili on Christmas Eve.
What a great tradition my grandmother had---at least until I was born.
 
The good cook gene was passed down
My Grandmother
My Aunt
My cousin Linda.
and...?  Maybe her daughter Jenn?






2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Yay for finishing one section!!

bermudaonion said...

Yay for finishing one section!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...