Saturday, April 7, 2012

(Mexican) Cowboy Beans with Rick Bayless




I have to be honest, I've never seen Rick Bayless or his TV shows.  His name sounds very familiar tho and when I looked on-line to purchase a cookbook,  he looks familiar too.
Anyway,  I'm excited to get to know him, which I hope to be doing with 

There have been some really dedicated followers of  I Heart Cooking Clubs. Me?  I always have good intentions but I get sidetracked  (by a bird, a butterfly, a good book, a glass of wine) however,   since Mexican food is my favorite...I mean, real homemade Mexican food....I thought I should try to join in with 
This does not mean I am going back on my word to not join any challenge, BECAUSE with I Heart Cooking Clubs, one can participate whenever they want.

Which brings me to this:



I have no sink... what the heck am I doing participating in a cooking meme this week!!!??
I have no counter top either.... we just laid the old one back on until the new ones are installed, a week to 10 days from TUESDAY.  (as you can probably tell  by the cracks, cuts and pieces of counter top just lying there)
I cook, I take stuff to the  bathroom sink to wash off.   We've mostly been eating off of paper plates and having sandwiches or microwave meals.  It really sucks.
But--I managed to make a Rick Bayless meal last night!
(it felt so good to actually cook something again!!)

I orderd this cookbook, when I knew I wanted to join in with IHCC again and I was very excited to begin to cook some Bayless!



We like beans.   Whole beans/frijoles  better than refried, so when I found this quick easy recipe for  'Cowboy Beans' in  Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless, I thought I'd give it a try.  To be honest, even tho I want to do this challenge, or cook along, a one pot dish sounded fantastic since I don't have a sink or dishwasher right now.




The beans were  phenomenal!! They had bacon and fire roasted tomotaoes and some pickeled jalepenos,  sprinkled with cilantro.  Mmmmm...they were smokey and spicey and  just really good.
I would definately make these as a side dish for any mexican meal.
This is what Rick writes about them
This is a quick version of the beans that are typically served in taquerias (and northern Mexican-sytle restaurants).  Think of them as smoky-spicy  (didn't I just say that??)
spicy-as-you-want, super satisfying version of plain-Jane brothy beans--they're perfect with tacos or grilled meat, really anything that's not cooked with a sauce.


I liked them with BBQ'd chicken. I mean grilled--GRILLED chicken.  Perfect with grilled chicken.
I can't wait to make them again for a 'themed'  party! 



Quick Cowboy Beans
Rick Bayless
Mexican Everyday

4 slices thick bacon, cut into small pieces
2 garlic cloves peeled and finely chopped or crushed thru a garlic press
Half a  15oz can of diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire roasted)
I used a whole can of Rotel tomatoes
3 1/2 cups home-cooked pinto beans with enough cooking liquid to cover
or
2 15oz cans of pinto beans
1 or 2 canned pickled jalapenos--or more if you like spicy beans
salt
1/2 cup chopped cilantro

In a large 4-qt saucepan, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring regularly, until crisp, about 4 minutes.  Add the garlic and stir for a minute, then add the tomatoes with their juice.  Cook, stirring regularly for  3-4 minutes to blend the flavors.  Add the beans, with their liquid and simmer over medium-low heat for about 15 minutes.
While the beans are simmering, stem the chilies, cut in half lengthwise and scrape out the seeds. Chop into small pieces and add to the beans.
Taste and season with salt if necessary.
Ladle into small bowls, sprinkle with the cilantro and serve.

It's been fun....and I'm happy to be back to IHCC!

I'm also adding this as cookbook #52 in my own personal cookbook countdown goal.

10 comments:

Karen said...

These beans look SO good. I like soupy beans... and so easy, I'll have to make some. This is my first time with IHCC - just had to join in for the Mexican food!

Heather S-G said...

These are one of my favorites!! I'm so happy that you'll be joining in with Rick every now and again. I think you'll adore him as much as I do! I'm so impressed that you did this without a sink or counter - ha!! I would probably just order a pizza... ;D

kitchen flavours said...

These beans looks delicious! Rick Bayless recipes are new to me too, heard of him though. Hope you get your sink fixed soon, I'll be "crying" myself with no sink! :)

Yrene MWCAdventure said...

A redo of your kitchen or a broken sink or anything else broken from my kitchen would be horrible! I think its great you managed to make meal! Cowboy style beans and probably you did some cowboy style cooking too.

NKP said...

These look wonderful! Glad they were such a hit! I♥CC is perfect for the casual contributor, and we are always happy to see you!
Looking forward to the after pics of the kitchen.
Cheers!

luckybunny said...

These look soo good! I think it's great you managed to make such a yummy meal with your kitchen getting worked on too! I know for sure this is something I'll be trying this summer :)

Michelle said...

Delicious! We love beans so I'll definitely have to try these. I like that you used ro-tel...one of my favorite things! Good luck with the re-do. Hope it goes quickly.

Tina said...

Good lookin' beans, my friend. I know you can't wait for a sink to be put in.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love soupy beans and these look amazing. Glad to have you dropping by IHCC whenever you can--it's always a pleasure to have you join in. ;-)

Kim said...

Having work done in the kitchen is always hard. I feel your pain! So happy you had the time to cook up these beans and join us this week. This is definitely a recipe I want to try. I'm a bean lover:)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...