Saturday, February 23, 2013

Well, hello there! (and chocolate chip cookie #8)



Hmmmm.... I don't really know how to start.  I've been missing in action for a couple of months and a couple of months before that too.
I'm not sure what I want to do with this blog. Cooking/food? Books?  Random thoughts?
Oh...that's what I was doing.  I just haven't been doing it lately.

I guess I'll just jump right in.... and give you an update in my life, in a nutshell.

1)  I've read 16 books since the first of the year.  I have not blogged about a single one of them ... and there were some great books too!
The one that has stuck with me the most is  "The Light Between Oceans"


It was a great book, but it left me feeling horrible!   Yes, a book can leave you with conflicting emotions.  I was very bothered by a decision in this book... I cannot tell you which one, because I would spoil the story for you, but it's not the most obvious one  (there are more than a few bad choices by characters in the book).  For days, I rewrote a certain part of the book in my mind---this, of course, is why I'm not an author---because my reworking of the story made  the plot too obvious and common.   It was a great read. Check it out if you haven't already.


2) I am keeping up on my goal of working my way thru this cookbook to find the perfect chocolate chip cookie  (none as good as my mom's yet)




This cookie was  #8 in the blog countdown  (okay, yes, I am working my way thru very, VERY slowly)  but #6 in the cookbook.


I made notes to what  I did.  This was a pretty good little cookie.  

Chocolate Chip Cookies VI
1 cup unsalted butter  (to be honest I just use what I have on hand and most of the time it's regular butter--with salt)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulates sugar
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar, firmly packed
2 large eggs
2 1/4 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp warm water
24 oz (4 cups) semi-sweet chocolate chips.  (I used 12oz)
2 cups walnut pieces  ( I used one cup)

Cream butter.  Add vanilla, salt and sugars, beat until light and fluffy.   Add eggs and beat well.
Dissolve baking soda in warm water.  Add baking soda mixture and flour to creamed mixture, beating just until all the flour is blended in. Stir in chocolate and walnuts.  Do not overmix.
Bake at  375F for about  10 minutes, until light brown.  







3) This morning, I thought I was going crazy.  I thought the Handyman had left for work.  It was early---like  7:20. He opens at   7 on weekdays,  9 on Saturdays--I can remember him telling me he was going up to take a shower, but then I guess I just forgot about him.  Oops.  I was busy doing my 'stuff'.  Making a list, cleaning the fridge,  having my coffee, carrying my book around.  I sat down at the computer and I heard water running upstairs.   I thought GREAT, WE HAVE SOME KIND OF LEAK.  Then I heard someone walking around.  It scared me!    I really had forgotten he was still here and it really frightened me.
But for just about  30 seconds.

Menopause?
Alzheimer's?
Crazy as a Loon?

I can't figure it out, but it must be one of the above.

(This is fun....it's kind of nice to be back)

11 comments:

Susan Lindquist said...

Oh Debbie! Sooo nice to see you back! Chocolate chip cookies and good books can't be all bad! The Light Between Oceans is the next book on my list ... it's still on 14-day loan at the library so I have to get cracking on it tonight! You've really piqued my interest even more than my niece, who said it is a beautifully written book ... hmmm!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

i really liked The Light Between Oceans too, and your chocolate chip cookies look delicious. Welcome back!

Karen said...

Haha... I've missed your posts!!

bermudaonion said...

It's so good to see you back! Now I want to read The Light Between Oceans to see if I can figure out what bothered you. Oh, I vote for menopause since I'm going through it too. Ugh!

teresa said...

i JUST finished that book too and felt the exact same way. it left me feeling very conflicted, but i still loved it.

Beth F said...

Light Between the Oceans has been on my list forever. Nw I want to get to it!

Yummy cookies!

Tina said...

You have been missed. So, the Lighthouse bok has been on my list too. I got absorbed with the Fire and Rain series....onward to my list of want-to-read books now.
The cookies look so good I think I can smell them!

JoAnn said...

Welcome back! The Light Between Oceans is on my must read list - so many wonderful reviews out there.

Fay said...

Lovely photos. We used to enjoy some fabulous Basque food in Winnemucca when we lived in California and drove across Nevada to visit relatives. Always stopped there.

Laurie C said...

That's a great goal, to find the best chocolate cookie! Thanks for the chuckle with the story about being spooked by a mysterious showering intruder, too. I haven't read The Light Between Oceans yet.

Angela said...

Welcome back! My daughter will be pleased when I give this recipe a whirl. Keep having fun :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...