Wednesday, November 29, 2023

Friday Friend Recipe #342 and 343-my mom's chicken casserole and Mexican Lasagna

 


Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook? I once had about 50 of my closest friends and family (from all over the county) on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends. At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 21 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday. (plus so much more....)

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.


I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself? Said, "you'll never, EVER do that."
WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.


Which brings me to recipes 342 and 343

My mom's
Chicken Casserole
and
Mexican Lasagna 







My mom had a well 'cheesed' rotation of recipes.
You know--that rotation of mainstay recipes you have routinely?  Well, I do believe that my mom's all contained cheese. 
One can't really go wrong with cheese tho.
These recipes are both really good. 







As I'm drawing nearer to the end of this cookbook, I am finding it hard to come up with more stories, so today instead of featuring my mom--I thought I'd make fun of my dad.
My dad:
He was a marine.
He was a policeman.
He was in charge of security for Hanford patrol (nuclear stuff--part of the Manhattan project in the 40's, etc.   Of course, he wasn't there in the 40's but rather the late 80's)
He had his own Private Detective agency as his last career move.

He ran the Bloomsday 12k one year.
He traveled the world, was a huge football fan, swimmer, Shriner, church goer, loved his family.

But one time---the one time in his life he is clueless of what he is doing--we had to document it for prosperity. 
Why would we do this? What could we possibly do with this documentation?
Well---here it is!  For the world to see.



It was in the summer of 2007, Phoenix, Arizona and we were getting things set up for my son's wedding reception. We were all busy with odd jobs--we, as in the whole family--many hands make light work and all that. But it left my dad with not so much to do. 
So, he leaned against the wall--or thought he did-- to visit and oversee the job.


Unbeknownst to my dad, (but not to anyone else) he had leaned against a water fountain (or drinking fountain, or even bubbler if you're from Wisconsin) and turn it on.  His butt was hitting the press button each time he leaned back against it.
And because we are a kind and loving family, never to humiliate or make a joke out of someone's misfortune, we (his kids and grandkids) would all walk by and ask him a question in a low voice, so he'd have to lean forward to answer.  Then he'd lean back, and the water would come back on.



My mom was taking pictures the whole time and the rest of us would ask him a question and then laugh and laugh.
He had no idea what was going on.
I'm not sure he ever knew.
But now--you do!

Below is a picture of me and my dad in better times.
As in, me not teasing him.

But you know---if you do the crime, you pay the fine. Or do the time. (??)
It's fitting I think, as his whole career was based on a life of crime. 
Just in the good way 😄







So, friends, My friends!  These are recipes 342 and 343
out of 361 (I'm 99% sure I have all the math down pat now) (it would have helped if I had gone in a linier progression instead of jumping all over the place)
2023 will be the year!!
Will it really tho?
(I'm slow going) (soooo  slow)















No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...