Monday, May 17, 2010

I need some help, Musing Monday and other bookish memes



I am having a horrible time remembering what I read in my High School English Lit class.



It's important because my daughter-in-law wanted to know. She asked me to ask my "Friday Friends", and I have, but before compiling all the answers and sending them to her, I thought I should also answer. It's just that I can remember the teacher's face, the great feeling I had from being in the class, but not any of the titles of the books.


We read one book....an alternate reality or sci-fi book (I think I had a progressive teacher for the mid '70's, public school system), where thru out the whole book, all pronouns were plural. There was no "I", "you", "he", "she", they were all "us" or "we". Through the course of the book, the people "escaped" whatever confinement they were in an discovered books and deserted towns, and by the end of the book, in the last chapter the narrator used the word "I".


For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the book!! It reminds me somewhat of "The Giver," or "Flowers for Algernon", but I can't find the name anywhere.
(does this ring a bell to anyone?).


I know we read Flowers for Algernon, and I think we read "Lord of the Flies" and I remember reading "The Call of the Wild" and "The Children," but I can't remember if those were assigned reading or if I read them for fun. (I can remember tons of books I read for fun).
"Go Ask Alice". Holy Cow...that had to be for leisure reading, they wouldn't have assigned that, would they?


OH....The Diary of Anne Frank. We had to read the Diary of Anne Frank.


Do you remember books you read for your high school English Lit class?
***************************


I'm participating in 2 memes today.

Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about movies based on books…


What happens when you see a movie based on a book/story, especially one you’ve not read? Do you feel the need to track it down and read it?






Musing Monday is hosted by Rebecca at Just One More Page.... Be sure to head over there and check out some of the other answers to this weeks question.

My short answer is yes. Most of the time I like to read the book first of course, but I have often read books after seeing the movie. Movies that come to mind are "The Poseidon Adventure" I saw then movie then, read the book. The book did give me a lot of background on characters which I really liked. "The Three Musketeers", when I was in high school I saw the movie with Michael York as d'Artagnan, and I just had to read about it. "Love Story" was another one.


It just occurred to me, that I haven't done this recently, it was more likely to happen when I was younger. Nowadays I will read a book in one day to be able to have read it before I see the movie.






It's Monday, What Are You Reading? is a weekly meme, hosted by Sheila at One Person's Journey Through a World of Books where we gather to share what we have read this past week and what we plan to read this week. It is a great way to network with other bloggers, see some wonderful blogs, and put new titles on your reading list.
















Last week, I finished up, "On Writing" by Stephen King. A book I absolutely loved.






Then I read "The Postmistress" which is really big on book club lists, but for me it was just okay. It was good, but not a "YOU MUST READ THIS BOOK" kind of book for me.



 And this week, I hope to finish up a couple that I'm in the middle of:
The Pat Conroy Cookbook, which is more, much more than just a cookbook. It's full of memoir and essays of his life. I am enjoying it very much, PLUS, yesterday I made his coconut cake from scratch. Huge hit at my house!





 Watership Down. I want to read it, I like it, I'm just having a hard time picking it up and actually reading it. It must be my old copy. It has no book jacket to entice me.






The Elegance of the Hedgehog. I've had this out from the library for weeks and have re-checked it out a couple of times.






9 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm stumped on the title of the book you read, but my curiosity is certainly piqued.

I didn't know there was a Poseidon Adventure book. I saw it as a teen and thought it was good, because it was the thing to do.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Oh the book On Writing does sound good. Stephen King used to be a favorite of mine. I don't think I was aware of this book. Thanks for letting me know about it.

Sam McCall said...

I have been wanting to read Stephen King's On Writing book for years now. Maybe one day soon lol

Congrats on making a coconut cake. All I can do is make Duncan Heinz - from a box lol

Elle said...

Wow, that book doesn't sound familiar at all--I wish I could help! My husband has read King's On Writing a few times--he totally recommends it.

Right now, I'm reading The Locavore Way--very interesting!

Luanne said...

I never feel the need to read a book if the movie has come out. Often I find there is such a let down between what I read and what I see.

I'll be curious to see if anyone can come up with the title for you - I'm stumped!

caite said...

as to your Musing Monday...
because I think the book is almost always superior to the movie, I like to see the movie first, take what is good to the book...or forget it if it is terrible.
to read a great book and then see the movie is to set oneself up for disappointment.

Lyndas recipe box said...

The book you descibe does not sound familiar to me. I graduated in 1971, but I do remember reading The Scarlet Letter, Moby Dick(I think it was in high school),and a Sherlock Holmes book. Which one, I can't remember.I've such a bad memory. :(

Ingrid_3Bs said...

I read The Scarlet Letter, Madame Bovary (sp?), 1984, Animal Farm, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Oliver, Great Expectations, something by Voltaire, many Shakespeare plays, and more that I can't remember. I LOVE reading! :) I have three children and read all the books that they are required (& read for pleasure) to read. We discuss the book(s) and spend quality time together.
~ingrid

Ingrid_3Bs said...

Duh...
if I've read the book (& liked it)and hear that the movie is coming out I will make a point of going to the movie. If I hear that a book is being turned into a movie and I haven't read it, I will hurry and read it before I go to see the movie. Case in point, Twilight and The Lovely Bones.
~ingrid

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...