Tuesday, February 21, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe 118--Harvard Carrots





Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!

What is it, you may ask?


In a nutshell...
About 16 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.
I decided to count those down!
Why?


Because  one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog"
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said,  "you'll never EVER do that."
Well,  maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!


Which brings me to recipe #118  My Mom's Harvard Carrots



Let me just take a moment and apologize to my mother (and all of you):  the photos are horrible!!
(It looks a little bit like snot)

The cornstarch thickened the sauce just a little bit too much!





I didn't want to make them again and take another photo, so this is what you get.
While I like Harvard Carrots (and beets), the Handyman, not so much.
I guess his mother never made them with a Sunday pot roast and mashed potatoes like my mom did.
My mom grew up on a cattle ranch in north east Oregon. She said she had beef 2x a day 6 days a week, so she LOVED it when they would have fried chicken or pork chops on Sundays.  Beef was not her favorite, and yet  it was our 'go to'  Sunday after church meal, when I was growing up.
The sides would change every so often---these Harvard Carrots were considered fancy schmancy!




If you like veggies with a bit of twangy sweetness, then you'll like these.
Just don't let the cornstarch make the sauce too thick like I happened to do.



So...as you surmised, this is my mom's recipe.
This is her 20th appearance in the FF cookbook countdown.
Her most recent entries being #107 and #108.

Here is my mom's 20th story.
Hockey.
The end.

One of the highlights of their lives was getting to see the Stanley Cup in person. 



My family  cannot be outdone, so  my nephew made a 'mini' cup.
This trophy is at our cabin, and we use it to mark the winner of a card game.
The card game is called 31, and the winner gets to put their name on the mini-Stanley.
It worked okay.


But you know---it really wasn't quite right, so
THE CABIN CUP was born!

Made of the finest red solo cups, water bottles and duct tape, it stays at our cabin at the lake and whenever anyone stays there a game of 31 is played.
Winner gets her/his name on the trophy!
Below is my granddaughter, Emerson, proudly displaying her trophy win of summer 2016!


The designer of our family cabin cup is my nephew Jason,
seen below is his glory days.





This is him now.



He broke his ankle playing hockey last month.

My mom--- loved hockey, her grandkids, her great grandkids and Harvard carrots.

That's my story.










3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My grandmother raised chicken so my mom grew up eating it all the time and now it's not her favorite. We all love carrots!

Katherine P said...

I have never had Harvard carrots but I am a fan of anything tangy sweet so I'll have to try them! Love the trophy idea and the picture of your granddaughter! Your nephew looks like he's taking the broken ankle pretty well. Even though I live in the South the college I went to had a big hockey program and I always had a few hockey players in my classes. Most of them were either from Canada or Minnesota and they were melting in the Alabama heat but I learned a lot about hockey!

Anonymous said...

I love hearing about your family bits. I hope your nephew isn't in too much pain or discomfort. My mum would make roasted carrots in butter or something. I usually make greens in this house. Jellybean loves baby brocolli.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...