Friday, February 7, 2020

Friday Friend Recipe #249 - Fiesta Chicken


Come with me as I continue to countdown my Friday Friend Cookbook!
What is it, you may ask?

In a nutshell....

About 20 years ago, 50 of my closest friends and family, who had been on an

  e-mail forum with me, sent in recipes in different categories and we compiled a cookbook.

I decided to count those down!

Why?

Because one night I was looking thru the cookbook and I said, "I should make every recipe in  here for my blog."

The Handyman, who thinks he knows me better than I know myself, said "you'll never EVER do that."

Well, maybe I will!  Maybe I'll show him!


Which brings us to Recipes #249 - my mom's Fiesta Chicken






Obviously, I did not use mozzarella cheese, but cheddar cheese instead.  And apparently a  LOT of it. But one can never go wrong with cheese, right?
This is good. Very simple really--just a seasoned chicken breast topped with cheese and salsa.
I put peas on my rice, because my mother did---and this is her recipe.
Well, I always put peas on my rice--the Handyman does not, he puts his peas beside his rice, as he grew up doing. 







A few days ago, I noticed it was Paul Newman's birthday.  My mother always loved Paul Newman.  This is what I put on Instagram that day:

One autumn afternoon about 11 years ago, I got a phone call from my mother and she said “the love of my life died today “. I was instantly panicked and said—DAD? And she said “no silly. Paul Newman”. After starring at this picture, I can understand. He would have been 95 today—my mother would have still thought he was just as handsome as he was here 😁. Seeing Paul made me think of my mom.



As you know, it's getting harder for me to think of stories about people who turn in recipes for this cookbook countdown.  This is my mother's tho--for heaven's sake, I shouldn't have trouble thinking of stories about her, right?
This morning I was looking thru a tub I have of ancestry stuff--another hobby of mine--and I came across a folder with some old emails printed out, where I had asked questions of the Friday Friend forum.  Lest you think I just ask my mom these kinds of random questions, rest assured that it was a general question on the forum, where I must have asked who you find attractive.

Okay, honestly, it was probably more like  "what 5 men are on your list of: it would be okay to sleep with if you could"  

YOU KNOW that list that never ever could happen?!   We all have one!  And we tell our spouses!  And they have one too!
AND I DIDN'T ASK THIS SPECIFICALLY TO MY MOTHER!  She was just on the forum and she answered me.  (sigh)
Don't tell me you don't have a list like this!  You do---oh you do  (even if it's only in your mind)

I guess this is my mother's list.  TMI?  Probably, but it's okay, it was all in fun.  
Her email was dated February 13, 2002.


Seeing my mother write 'turned me on', is really kinda weird.
My parents did side jobs at the horse race track for years. My dad did security and my mom took bets.  They loved it!  I always thought my mom loved being around the people, but now I'm thinking--did she love it so much just so she could look at Ted?  We will never know.

I guess I must have also said she slept thru the '60s music.  But no--she was awake.  And liked Wayne Newton. The Four Aces.  The Kingston Trio.  And is proud of it!

SHE WAS IN HER 20's!!   
Most young women in their 20's liked the Beatles in the 1960s.  Herman's Hermits.  The Doors.  Jimi Hendrix.  The Animals. The Beach Boys.  The Who.

She was a woman who danced to her own music.  Too bad Paul Newman didn't sing.

I found a few pictures of my mom in the 60's---

She and I in 1962.  My dad was a Marine, and he was overseas at this time. We were living with my grandparents in a teeny tiny ranching town--Enterprise, Oregon.
My mom was working as a telephone operator.
I think we were so isolated at that time  (before satellite radio, cell phones, internet, etc) there was only one radio station and it certainly didn't play  Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention!  (so perhaps she didn't know what good music she was missing?)

 


And the end of the decade my dad was home, I got my first camera and took some photos of my pretty mom.

She and our dog Snow.  
She wore her hair in this cool Behive hairdoo for most of the 70's, but once in a while she would throw on a wig--or in this case a "fall", as we called it.  I never knew her to have long hair unless she wore a wig or a fall and it was in the 60's man!  Or 70's. 
Man~ she loved Paul Newman for a long time.  She had good taste.





My friends I bring to you   my mom's 45the recipe in this countdown--
Fiesta Chicken!
Make some. 
 Put on a Paul Newman movie  (may I suggest Butch Cassidy and the Sundance kid) or play some Wayne Newton 
and enjoy!

This is recipe #249

Only 118 left to go!

Woo Hoo!


1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Yeah, having my mom say "turn me on" would be weird too. Your mom sounds like a lot of fun!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...