Monday, January 9, 2023

323 and 324 Friday friend countdown

 


Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook? I once had about 50 of my closest friends and family (from all over the county) on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends. At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 21 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday. (plus so much more....)

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.


I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself? Said, "you'll never, EVER do that."
WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.


Which brings me to these... recipes #323 and #324

My Mom's Long Island Iced Tea and Honey Mustard Chicken



This is what we do when we're waiting for dinner (Honey Mustard Chicken) to bake--we drink Long Island Iced Tea and play cards.
And we do it no matter what is cooking.  In the winter, we play at the dining room table, in the summer on the patio table.
I don't know if I've said this before, but, my family (mom's side) were huge card players and my mom jokes about being conceived while her parents played cribbage.
We have no way of knowing if this is true or not as her parents are deceased. As is she.
No one to corroborate the story. 
BUT I do know that I remember staying at their (my grandparents) house and waking up to the sound of cards being shuffled--because they played cribbage every morning at breakfast.  So, she has a persuasive argument.

I once, tried playing cribbage every morning with the Mayor (handyman, husband, honey--I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO CALL HIM. ANYMORE!)
Anyway, it didn't work well because he was still working, and we ran out of morning time.
It defeats the purpose of fun, when you are yelling up the stairs every morning--get down here we have to play cribbage now!!

The Handyman and I play cards together a lot.
But none of our kids were conceived while doing so.

In my family, this game is called Nertz.  But if you are in the Friday Friend Cookbook editor's family (remember Barbara Brown originally typed these all up) it is called Bolshevik. 

There are a few slight differences, but none that matter.


Playing cards passes the time, while waiting for meals.
And imbibing a bit is okay too!





There is a lot of alcohol involved in Long Island Iced teas.



So much alcohol!
And the funny thing is, my mom never drank when I was little.
She would order orange juice so people would thing she was having a drink--because back in the day, people could not let you get by without a drink in your hand.  (It seemed un-hospitable or something.  different times--what can I say?) So, she was an orange juice drinker.
Then, in the middle of my high school years, something happened, and she discovered 'slow gin' and 'peach schnapps' and drank things called 'slow screws' and 'fuzzy navels'.
She still was never a huge drinker, and it was rare to see her overindulge, but there are a couple of times I remember, and those were funny.
Maybe not as funny as this time?
I came across these photos when I was searching for a story about my mom.
She was always one for a celebration!  Not sure if this was for the Fourth of July
Memorial Day
President's Day
Flag Day
Labor Day
Veterans Day
or
OR
Their hockey team was "The Tri-City Americans" and they did sell 50/50 tickets with their friends during intermission, and they might have had a little too much fun.  And they might have dressed up in costume?  Who knows.
And now there is no one to ask.




The thing is--- I now have this 'costume' in my dresser drawer.
I've never known what to do with it exactly. When or where to wear it.
I wish I could ask my mom. 

**WAIT A MINUTE!  Look, my mom has her "orange juice" glass front and center.  It's like she's mocking me.
Hmmmm---did I fall for the old "I don't drink I'm just having orange juice" line all my life??
😁

My mom has 48 recipes in the Cookbook Countdown so far,
only a couple more of hers to go (because you know I'm doing a slow roll to the finish line) and you can check them out here. (click here)
These are recipes #323 and 324.

I have 26 more to make to complete the cookbook countdown--anc counting the 8 I have in drafts--you'll only be seeing 34 more posts from me.
Probably only 24, as I double up sometimes.

But as Rich (the mayor, handyman, husband) reminded me tonight--until the next time you count them.
Have a good night!






No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...