Wednesday, December 27, 2023

Friday friend recipe number 348

 



Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook? I once had about 50 of my closest friends and family (from all over the county) on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends. At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 21 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday. (plus, so much more....)  
AND we contributed recipes for a cookbook.


I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself? Said, "you'll never, EVER do that."
WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.


Which brings me to recipes 348.

My
Pollo En Mole Verde



This is a really good green sauce to put over chicken or anything at all.
I had some leftover and put it in a jar in my fridge and used it over other meats and I did put it on my rice.  It's really good. 



I got this recipe from an old friend, Letty Rodriguez, whom I have lost touch with--which is very odd for me.  I am a keeper of friends.  I've only lost contact with a couple of people in my 64+ years on this planet.
This friend group below (the one I'm showcasing even though they have nothing to do with this recipe )  is very important to me-- I will never lose touch with them, altho we aren't as close as we used to be--for a good many years we did everything together (one example, every Friday at 10am, coffee at one of the local coffee shops, then lunch, then cards in the afternoon.--We were like the Yayas from Secrets of the YaYa Sisterhood, but we were more like Yoyos 😁), then time and life happened, as it does, and we slowly stopped doing everything together. Kids grew, jobs changed, people moved.... life happened. 
We are still great, great friends, we just don't see each other as often.  Isn't it funny how that happens in life?
Oh, sure, tell me you are great friends with everyone in your past, and nothing has ever changed that!

I love these friends!
Neither, snow, nor rain, nor heat nor dark of night will keep me from them.
Just some time, distance and lifestyle changes is all.


 Photo from left to right
standing: Mitzi (who moved away to Minnesota 9 years ago) Lisa, April, Cindy (who moved away to Colorado 3 years ago)
sitting: Gina (has dual citizenship, Idaho where they have a 2nd home and here in Nevada), Shelly (who moved to Idaho 2 years ago), Me and Julie.

Whenever we had a dinner, or a get-together, we would do a group photo. 
This was in April's backyard--her husband was building a shop (background)


We had a pajama birthday party at Lake Tahoe when we went to the Shakespeare Festival at Sand Harbor. 
For some reason Mitzi forgot to pack underwear and had to go commando all weekend. 
Ahhh---the things we remember!
She also said, "I can't wait till Debbie dies and we can read her journals".
I think this was a compliment that I was keeping track of our lives and not a wish/threat for my death. 
I hope so anyway.


It's fun to see the hairstyle (and color) changes over the years!


Super bowl parties at Shelly's were always a big thing!  One time, Cindy won the football pool every quarter.  We always wanted to take her gambling with us after that.
(that is, if any of us went gambling.  When you live in Nevada, that's usually the last thing you want to do!)

Not sure why I am giving the finger.  It had to be an accident!


There are 17 kids between us all--- we went thru a lot of ups and downs with them all.
Now there are 29 grandchildren (so far) and this time around, we get to have all the fun with them and not the stress and worry.
Right?  RIGHT?



Christmas was always a fun time--GIFT EXCHANGE from friends who knew you well was always a blast.  
(sometimes girlfriend gifts are better than husband gifts--shhh, don't tell)


For a while there, someone's kid was always graduating (or getting married), and we had many parties to go to. 


 April was staring in a community theater play--Arsenic and Old Lace.  Or maybe she was turning 50 here.  And her husband bought her a cemetery plot for her birthday.
  (this is not a joke--but it was funny)


And one of us got married!  Gina!  It was Gina. 
Here we are with all of our husbands.  
Gina's new husband, Mark looks so happy--but I'm sure he was wondering what he got himself in to.  Not with Gina, but with us!
(also Mitzi was 8 3/4 months pregnant here)


And then--just us.
I think we were heading out to dinner one evening.
We did lots of diners--lots of lunches. 
Food and friends--they go together somehow. 
You laugh at lot over a meal with friends and I loved laughing with these women.
We still do whenever we get together--even if it's not as often as it was. 
I 💖these people!



So, friends, My friends!  This is recipe #348 out of 361. 

Look how close I am!
2023 will be the year!!
Will it really tho?
(I'm slow going) (soooo  slow)
But maybe, I am feeling the challenge!

That above I copied and pasted it from my last post.  
As you might have guessed, it won't be a goal that I'll meet this year. BUT--January?  You betcha!

And the extra special good news is---that again I have counted wrong and only have 358 in the cookbook, SO only 10 more to go after this!!
Ten!   10!
Wow!

I never went in a linear fashion--but jumped all over the place, so tonight when I was mapping out how many more to make and the timeline of when I should make them, etc.  I only had 358 in the cookbook.  
I've counted again, and again and again.
10 more to go!




No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...