Monday, October 27, 2008

Comfort Food



I needed a comfort meal...and autumn comfort meal. My life feels as if it's been on high speed these past couple of weeks.
My job in the fall is very busy. I am the director for the Chamber of Commerce in our small town. We had a huge fund-raiser two weeks ago, and then we sponsored a local candidates night and now....well, lets just say it doesn't end, until the Christmas parade in mid-December.
I'm not saying I don't like it, it's a great job, but I have just been feeling on a merry-go-round and I can't get off.
So....Sunday came. Ah Sunday. We worked in the yard, raking leaves, read books a bit and I fixed this...comfort food.
Something my grandma would have made on a Sunday.
Pot roast
mashed potatoes and gravy
carrots and brussel sprouts

I made the pot roast just like my mom used to make. Seasoned it with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Browned it in oil and all sides, then added some Lipton Onion Soup. Just like my mom used to. It ends up making a great onion gravy. It was just a nice, warm, old-fashioned meal.

Mashed potatoes....with heavy cream and butter, because, well, we aren't worried about calories this day. We just want comfort.

And finally, I roasted the baby carrots and the brussel sprouts together. Similar to "Kitchen Girl's" great brussel sprout recipe. (it's where I got the idea).

I had some yeast rolls and butter.
The only thing missing was an apple pie. A homemade apple pie. Darn it.... I had apples both in my fridge and on my tree.
It was just a nice day for relaxing and regrouping and...eating comfort food like my mom and grandma used to make.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

That looks so heavenly. What a great way to spend a relaxing Sunday. The apple pie would have been the best part with some vanilla ice cream. I like brussels sprouts, just never thought of cooking them with a roast. I may try that soon.

Shelby said...

What a great looking meal, your so right, it even LOOKS comforting!

Tina Butler said...

That is the perfect comfort food. Yummo good. I hated brussel sprouts as a kid, but now i love them.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...