Thursday, May 19, 2011

Booking Thru Thursday

Today's Booking Through Thursday asks this question:
What do you think of censoring books BECAUSE of their intended age? Say, books too “old” for your kids to read?

I'm pretty sure I don't have a "following" since I just write random stuff, BUT I often feel as if I repeat myself over and over (so if you do read my blog regularly, please don't roll your eyes and say  I KNOW, SHE SAYS THAT ALL THE TIME.)

When I was in Junior High School, circa 1971-1973, I  'snuck' read  The Godfather,  The Exorcist, and Valley of the Dolls. (This is where I repeat myself--The Godfather is my favorite book)
All completely age inappropriate.   And I am so glad I read them.  I have fond memories of them all.  Granted, there were a few things I didn't understand at the time  (especially things Sonny Corleone did with his mistress.  I couldn't even find that word in the dictionary!  ~laughing~ ),  but aside from those few things, they were good books and didn't hurt my moral conscience.  I don't think anyway.
So, I have a hard time censoring books.  And honestly, I had boys who I would have PAID  to read anything.  (a confession:  I did pay my oldest son to read The Mouse and the Motorcycle when he was in the 5th grade.  I'm not so sure it took.  He's not an avid reader.  He's 31.)
I think age appropriateness has to be a parental decision and I respect that.

Having said that tho.... I hate it when  the other side doesn't respect my right to let my kids read anything they want.  When they try to censor books in a public  (or sometimes even a school) library.
I had an acquaintance once who, when she thought books were inappropriate, would  take them and shove them behind other books on other shelves.
AAACCCKKK!!!

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm the same as you - I never stopped my son from reading anything. He is a reader now, but I'm not sure I would call him an avid reader.

Sally said...

I love you answer! Made me smile. I agree with what you said and I hate the idea of books being banned in libraries.
Sally.
http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-18.html

Jessica White said...

I also read really inappropriate books when I was young . I can say as I will censor my kids, but I probably will try to direct them to more age appropriate books.

My husband just listened to the godfather while working in the back room of the store. He wasn't in there when the whole se.x scene was being read. Then his mom walked in while it was playing :-)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100%. I never stopped my kids from reading anything either and I, too, read age-inappropriate books. :o)

Col (Col Reads) said...

I totally agree with you. It is such a personal thing between a child and a parent -- and maybe a teacher and a child, once they know each other well. Outside groups that try to impose their ideas about "appropriate" reading always have an agenda!

Jolina said...

Since we are going to DC next month, I've been busy buying books about DC, and of course one of them is a bird guide book for the area!! I also bought The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown because someone told me that it's an interesting novel about DC. Nik (age 12) has started reading it, and it flickered through my mind that it may not be age appropriate. I have to admit that I have not read the DaVinci code so I don't even know his style. I'll let you know how it goes!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...