Thursday, December 19, 2013

Impossibly Easy Breakfast Pie (and some rambling)



This doesn't happen often, but because of the holidays,  2 of my book clubs have been moved around, to a week earlier than normal, so this week I will  have gone to three/3 book clubs!!  It's my dream week.
While some of you would find that to be very stressful during this busy holiday time, I find it a great time to sit, relax and visit with my bookish friends.  And it is stress relieving for me.

Bookclub #1 ----it's a luncheon.  There are about 40+ women who belong to the "Literary  Club",  an old-old ladies club  here in town.  It's always a luncheon and there is a book report by someone.  We don't always read the same book, but I love the book report/talk format.  It's fun to see what people come up with to get us to "love" their book.

Bookclub #2 --was last night.  We all take a plate of cookies to share, and a wrapped book to give in our gift exchange. Then we play the 'right/left' game and pass the books around, so you don't end up with the one you opened.
Next month we will have our annual "Miss" contest.   Where we have a potluck and choose a Miss. We have had  Miss Hot dish, Miss  Appe-TEASER, and Miss Congealediality (jello based salads), but we usually don't eat a meal at this book club.  We do have an annual meeting at a country inn each summer tho.

Bookclub #3--is tonight.  It is the cooking and reading club.  We all read the same book and the host cooks dinner for all of us, and we discuss over dinner or dessert, but mostly we discuss over lots of wine.   Tonight we are supposed to bring a 'food themed' gift.  I have half of my gift.    I found these cute  "recipe" dice...for non-cookers who can't make up there mind what to fix  (which is a lot of this book club).  Now I need to figure out something to go with it.  I'm cutting it close.

Like I said---A Dream Week for me!! What a Christmas gift.  (sigh)

That was my rambling part--now on to the Impossibly Easy Breakfast Pie.





If you remember, a couple of blog posts ago, The Handyman inadvertently challenged me to cook every recipe out of my homemade Friday Friend Cookbook.  This will be recipe #2 from my good friend Barbara Brown.   
Barb started out as the Handyman's friend and colleague, but I quickly claimed her as mine. She and her husband are game players.  We would have whole weekends where we would have board game marathons--and gin and tonics.  They are wonderful (and will be), life-long friends.    She is the one who actually typed up and copied this collection of recipes for me.  Thanks Barb!






Today I give you her..... (and by the way---it was really good. The Handyman liked it very much.  It's a great dish to do for company, as it's all in one dish and not too hard to make)

Impossibly Easy Breakfast Pie

2 pks (12 oz each) pork sausage
1 med bell pepper, chopped (I used a red one)
1 med onion, chopped
3 cups frozen hash browns
2 cups shredded cheddar
1 cup Bisquick
2 cups milk
1/4 t. pepper
4 eggs

Heat oven to 400F. Grease a 9x13 baking dish. Cook sausage, pepper and onion in skillet until sausage is no longer pink.  Drain.  Stir together sausage mixture, potatoes and 1 1/2 cups of the cheese.  Put in baking dish.  
Combine Bisquick, milk and eggs and pepper till blended.  Pour over mixture in baking dish.
Bake, uncovered for 40 minutes, or till knife inserted comes out clean. 
Sprinkle with remaining cheese and bake a minute longer to melt.
Cool for 5 minutes.



This does  not mean I have given up on making a dish from every cookbook I own, completing my COOKBOOK COUNTDOWN,  I just plan on cooking more!  ~grins~

If you don't already have a Christmas morning tradition, this would be a good one to start with.

**an update:  I'm including a photo of every Friday Friend when I use one of their recipes.  

Barbara Brown.... at the Blue Banana Coffee Shop!



3 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, Debbie, this is a dream week indeed. What fun it must be to belong to so many different types of book clubs. I am envious!
Good for you tackling that Friday Friends cookbook. I am liking the look of this breakfast pie. Sounds like a winner for Christmas morning.

bermudaonion said...

Hm, I wonder how that would taste with gluten free Bisquik?

~~louise~~ said...

I could have sworn I just saw a Happy New year post of yours in my side-bar and Wha La it was gone. Happy New Year Debbie! Hope it's a GREAT one!!!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...