Saturday, September 27, 2014

Friday Friend Recipe #24 -- Chocolate Chip Cookies (the ONE) Ch chip cookie #13






This always has to be my disclaimer  (or explanation of what a Friday Friend is and what this is all about)




Friday Friend cookbook:   I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends.  At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions,  exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts,  had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND,  we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
Which brings me to this... recipe #24:

My mom's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I have loved these cookies my whole life. 
I thought they were buttery  (I was wrong)
and crunchy yet chewy  (I was right)
and tasty and good  (I was right)

They are what I was looking for.
My search is over.
(but I'll keep on making CCC's ---just for fun!)




BUT I do have to say---I'm embarrassed!
This is what I said I wanted:
BUTTERY, crispy and chewy, just like my mom's used to be.
Well...there is no butter in my mom's recipe. 
YIKES.

My mom always had these in a big glass jar...and I don't mean a cookie jar, but rather a huge gallon glass jar with a screw on lid.  The kind that restaurants used to buy mayonnaise in or something.  Now everything is plastic.

After school, we always grabbed a handful.
When the Handyman and I were at our cabin by the lake, I made these...and we too, grabbed handfuls each time we walked by.  
My mom still has a big glass gallon jar there at the cabin!

Here is the original cookbook she used--which is now mine, so I can also cross this one off for my very own Cookbook Countdown ---and  she also submitted it to the Friday Friend Cookbook project.
2 birds with one Stone!  Yay





As you can see:  Very well used, very much loved.



Mom's Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies
by my mom, Bev Hambelton

1 cup shortening
3/4 cup sugar
3/4  cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp salt
1 tsp soda
1 tsp hot water
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups quick oatmeal
1 cup chopped nuts (optional--and I didn't use)
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Cream  shortening, sugars and eggs. Dissolve soda in water. Add to sugar mixture. Add flour and salt; mix well.  Add oats, chips and nuts (if used),and vanilla.  Mix well.  
Bake at  350F for 10-15 minutes.







I decided I wanted to learn to make a pie crust when I was around 13 or 14.
I decided I wanted to learn to make a pie crust on a Saturday night at about 6pm--just when my parents were headed out to a fancy dinner.
My mom was getting ready and she was all dressed up in a fancy dress and her hair done up, perfume, etc.
I could not get my pie crust to roll and just as they were leaving the house I thru a fit and wanted her to stay and teach me her pie crust--JUST LIKE A GOOD MOM SHOULD!!

You know what?  She didn't stay.  
But she did teach me the next day, how to do a pie crust.
this is another cooking memory I have of my mom. (I mean, I was seriously crying over pie crust and wanting her to give up her evening out!  
Ahhhhh,  the emotions of a 13 year old girl  ~grins~)

Here is a photo taken of my mom about 5 years ago.




Today I am joining lots of friends with their weekly memes.

I so admire these bloggers.
They stay focused and are prompt and dependable.
Every----Single----Week.
(or month, as the case may be)

First,  Joyce at Kitchen Flavours, hosts
Cook-Your-Books each month.
Cook-Your-Books is all about cooking or baking from your many cookbooks or magazines that you have collected over the years.

I have many.



And I always like to link up to 
Love her book reviews, her cookbook collection and her blog!!
I'm a big fan.


And again.....
She makes me LOVE Louisiana.



Then of course--my very own 



and these cookies make it number 66!
24 in the Friday Friend Cookbook
13 in the Chocolate chip countdown.



ONE DAY I'LL FINISH EVERYTHING!!









8 comments:

Carole said...

What a fab old cookbook! Cheers from Carole's Chatter!

bermudaonion said...

Wow, your mom got her money's worth from that cookbook! She looks so young in that photo.

Beth F said...

Aww thanks for the compliments -- mutual!

How funny that you were thinking buttery, but there's no butter. And I wouldn't be 13 again for all the world; what a difficult age.

And I agree -- great cookbook!

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

What a lovely post! Those cookies look amazing and I love that cookbook.

kitchen flavours said...

Hi Debbie,
Your mother's old cookbook must be very special! Reminds me of my belated mom's own handwritten cookbook with recipes that she collected over the years. That cookbook is so special to us, brings back fond memories of my mom baking and cooking as we were growing up, and some recipes are really special to us.
The choc chip cookies looks wonderful and I would not mind having a jar on my kitchen counter!
Your mom looks lovely!
Thanks for linking to CYB!

Vicki said...

How neat that you still have your mom's cookbook!! It looks like she definitely got her money's worth! Makes me wish I had some of the cookbooks/recipes my mother used.
Here's My Weekend Cooking

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

Those old cookbooks are simply the best!

Michelle B said...

I love reading your stories, Debbie. The pie crust one had me laughing. Probably because it reminded me of my own 13 year old hissy fits over the most ridiculous things.

I'm not big on baking because I find it tedious and too full of rules like measuring. So why is it that when I bake, I always turn to cookies--one of the most tedious of all baked goods? Everything you've said about these cookies makes me want to make them. Even though they are buttery without butter. Or maybe especially because of that. Thanks for stopping by!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...