Sunday, July 19, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #61-- Pie Delight


Friday Friend Recipe #61: Pie Delight

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.

I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said, "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him! Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #61


Betty Butner's
Pie Delight


I am not sure where this dessert got the word 'pie' in it,, because it resembles pie in no way, shape or form.
Probably from the pie filling you use as a topping.


As I've said before, this countdown is more about the friendships than the actual recipes---or rather the photographs of the recipes. 
What I lack in photography skills, this dessert makes up for in taste.
It is TASTY!!  And yummy.
Angel Food cake with a filling of cream cheese and cool whip, topped with a fruit pie filling of your choice!
I really need to learn a new word--Yummy is getting old.
Let me think...
Mouthwatering and scrumptious! 
That's it!
That is this dessert in a nutshell.




Pie Delight
Betty Butner
Enterprise, Oregon

1 Angel Food Cake
1 cup whipping cream
1 large pkg cream cheese
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 large can pie filling

Tear or cut the cake into small pieces and place into  9x13 pan.
Beat whipping cream until frothy. Add softened cream cheese and powdered sugar.  Mix until incorporated and then pour over cake pieces.
Top with pie filling and chill.







This is Betty's first appearance in the  countdown.
I've known Betty since before I was born.
She was my mom's best friend from the time they were in the 6th grade, until the day my mom died.
The photos below were taken of my parents and their best friends, Jim and Betty Butner, on their wedding day and at their combined 50th anniversary party, seven years ago.
How lucky to have life-long friends!

When I was little, we would spend the weekend with Betty and her family over "Chief Joseph Days" and there was always a carnival.
I get sick on most carnival rides, but I didn't ever want to be left out... so I would ride the milder rides, have a pronto pup (hand dipped corn dog) and cotton candy and right before we would leave for home, I would get on THE OCTOPUS!



It would spin and spin and I would get off the ride feeling nauseous and sick to my stomach.  We would then all head home and Betty would make me some Alka Seltzer.
I loved the bubbles.
I swear it made me feel better!

Those are the only times in my life that I've had Alka-Seltzer.
What a day!
Cowboy breakfast, parade, rodeo, carnival and ALKA-SELTZER!
I loved those times.  Loved those people.
I had a great childhood.  I wouldn't change a thing.
Not even the nausea? Well.....maybe.

Great dessert Betty!!



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Aw, they were lucky to have life long friends! That dessert sounds decadent. How many more recipes do you have to go?

Tina said...

I love the dessert and love love love the old photos!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...