Thursday, April 13, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #125 -- Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad







Friday Friend Recipe #125 -- Sandy's   Broccoli and Cauliflower Salad
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
 
AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
 
Which brings me to this... recipe #125
 
Sandy's
Broccoli and Cauliflower  Salad




This salad is so good!  I figure it's because it has mayonnaise, bacon and sugar in it. Oh, and cheese.  The Veggies are just a garnish mixed in---although I happen to like broccoli and cauliflower--a lot!
You can make this the day before, so it's easy to make for potluck and picnics.







I can't believe that on recipe #125, I am introducing a new Friday Friend, but here she is. This is Sandy.


Sandy and I met about 25 years ago-- her husband worked for K-mart, and the Handyman (at the time) JCPenneys.
We both knew all about the traveling, corporate life and being away from friends and family.
Sandy is originally from Iowa, me from Washington State, and we met in California.

We became fast friends, because we both lived far away from our families. It's like that in the nomadic way of life--you meet people, form intense relationships (cuz your holiday spending family lives way far away) and then you get transferred and you move on.  But always remain friends of course.

While I tried my best to get Sandy to answer Friday Friend questions--she never did, altho she read the forum faithfully every day-- So Sandy is a Friday Friend Enigma!  She is funny and fun to be around and one of the most positive people I know.  He glass is never half full--it's full to the top!  Her glass is brimming over!!

During the five years we both lived in Los Banos, California, each summer Sandy would host a "Rhubarb" party.  This was due to most of the neighbors had never heard of rhubarb, but being from Iowa, Sandy ate it-- a LOT during the summers when she was growing up. She decided it was a 'taste' that everyone needed to experience.
So, a few of us would make a couple of rhubarb desserts, (pies, crisps, crunches) and homemade vanilla ice cream and the neighbors would come have a blast!
Did I mention that most of the neighbors were in their 80's?
They loved Sandy and her sparkling personality.
Me too!
I've  never helped with a rhubarb party since, but to this day I make the best Rhubarb Crunch in the world. It was my specialty.

(yes, I know it's an acquired taste---but even the Handyman who doesn't like rhubarb, likes my rhubarb crunch)

Also, Leo and Sandy were Front Porch sitters, not backyard people.  They liked to visit with their neighbors!  They had a lovely front porch area and we would sit out with them on summer evenings and visit until it got dark.
Good memories!

Below are a couple of photos of Sandy and I and our 'always ready for a new  career adventure, traveling' husbands,
Leo and the Handyman.
About 20 years ago.
(but I think we still look the same)



And that's my Sandy story!
Her 1st recipe down, a couple more to go.

Recipe #125 out of 298





1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

Yep, we know all about moving around but now we have friends all over the place!

I make something similar to this without the cauliflower and I love cauliflower so I know I'd love this.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...