Monday, April 24, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #129 -- Tortilla Crisps




My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #129!
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)

Darleen's Tortilla Crisps

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....
...and the rest is cookbook history!




Let me just say YUM!  I don't really need to say anything else, right?   We've all had these, we all like these--cinnamon and sugar and something fried?  How can you go wrong?

My edges got a little bit overdone, but they did not taste burnt, they just look really brown. So watch these carefully as they fry up fast.


Tortilla Crisps
Darleen Evans
Pasco, WA

Heat oil in a deep skillet to 375.
Cut tortillas into pie shaped wedges.
Fry till crispy and golden brown.
Drain on paper towels.
While still hot, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.





This is Darleen's 3rd time in the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown!
You can see all her recipes here (just click)

Darleen is my favorite Aunt-in-Law.  She was only 3 1/2 when the Handyman was born.  He calls her Auntie--more to be ornery than anything.

Once upon a time when the Handyman and I were living in Los Banos, California, he got a ticket.  It wasn't for speeding or doing anything reckless--it was for not wearing a seatbelt. This was right at the start of when the seatbelt law was taking effect across the states, so I'm sure he wasn't the only one who got ticketed.
A few days afterwards, he receives a phone call from his Auntie Darleen, who worked for Border Patrol in Southern California at the time, and she says,  "why were you pulled over the other day?"
Handyman says,  "Why?  Are you 'running' me?"
running--I guess that's slang talk for what law enforcement does to check up on people.  To see if they have any prior law breaking activities or any warrants out for their arrest, etc.

Auntie Darleen says, "Well, yes I am.  I periodically run everyone in the family.  Just to make sure you're all on the straight and narrow!"

BUSTED HANDYMAN!!
You can never hide from  Auntie Darleen.  She knows all!



I know this isn't a great photo of Marv -- but he was on the verge of laughing at something very funny, so it makes me smile.
Marv passed away about 8 years ago.  We all miss him a lot.




And that my friends is Recipe #129.
169 more to go!
*************************************
Barbara Brown, my editor and original publisher, told  me  her friend Linda Pederson (Hi Linda) is a fan of the blog --  because she likes my wit.
This has put so much pressure on me! 
I can't wait till there's a Barbara Brown Recipe (only 2 more to go in my drafts until I get there),  I'm going to be really witty and fun then!
Cuz...man do I have a story!!





2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I like your wit too!

Anonymous said...

These look way tastier than churros.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...