Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Friday friend recipes #332, 333, and 334

 





Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.

What is the Friday Friend cookbook? I once had about 50 of my closest friends and family (from all over the county) on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends. At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 21 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday. (plus so much more....)

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.


I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who thinks he knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself? Said, "you'll never, EVER do that."
WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.


Which brings me to recipes #332, 333 and 334

Barb's
  Green Noodles and Veggies
Zucchini and Hominy
Jumbo Vegetarian Pasta Shells






I only had parmesan shavings and not anything grated.  They were good on this pasta/side dish. 
This had an interesting flavor and texture-- green pasta in a velvety butter sauce.






And then came the zucchini (good) and hominy (also good), put them together and you have a hearty vegetable side dish.
I like all the ingredients, but if you don't like hominy especially, then this might not be for you.  On the other hand, you don't know what you're missing. 












I couldn't find any pasta 'shells', jumbo or miniature or anywhere in between, in the whole town of Winnemucca.  (we only have 3 grocery stores) So I used some manicotti shells and tried to make them look like 'sea' shells.  HEY!  what a minute---it doesn't say 'sea' shells anywhere in this recipe.  
Imagine that----I'm not on the hotplate anymore.  I used pasta shells---manicotti shells!!





These were yummy, but as I might have mentioned before, one cannot go wrong with pasta and cheese and sauce. 


This posed a bigger dilemma for me than choosing a pasta shell, other than 'sea' shell.
White or Yellow Hominy?
Or Mexican style which looks like a blend.
I'm pretty sure I did the blend.




So---Barb and Doug.
True lovers for a long, long time.
for reference----

Long ago:




 
6 years ago:


We spent a wonderful weekend with the Browns in Tahoe 6 years ago.






But let me get back to the true love part.

One Valentine's Day---in 2005 (I kept records. Seriously. From when we did the Friday Friend Forum.  I knew these confessions by Friday Friends would come in handy someday) I got this email....

From Barb:  I don't want to gloat, but... When I got home from work yesterday, Doug had a bubble bath ready, with a heart candle and a drink.  After I soaked for a while, he got me my white terry robe to lounge in. Then once I was comfortable, I got a foot/leg/neck rub with lotion.  Maybe I need to keep working??  NOT!   I'll take my chances that he will continue to do this.  Isn't he great?


Then later in the month-- I was invited to a Pampered Chef party.  I went with April. When I dropped her off at home, she sighed and said, "I have to go paint a wall.  Want to come see which one I'm painting?  We walked in and it smelled like fresh paint to me..and guess what?  HER DOUG, had painted the wall, so that she could get her new (antique) buffet situated there on that very wall.  He HATES to paint. But he did if for her.

Now I really, really want a Doug of my own!  Dougs seem so nice.

From Barb: Now I sound like an ingrate but go ahead.  He's yours for a while.  I will learn to live with the temporary dust.   Doug took it to a ridiculous level this morning.  He was awake before 5, so the smell of coffee made me get up around 5:05.  He had already read the paper and had a cup. So--while I am trying to do the same---he is starting a load of laundry, dusting the furniture, swiffereing the floors, getting the vacuum out, etcetcetc.  Not that I don't appreciate his help, but does all this need to be done befoer 7am??!!    And the smell of all the cleaning solutions does not go well when one is trying to enjoy their coffee. I finally gave up and took my shower and got cleaned up just to get away from him.  On the bright side, since he has done practically every chore possible, I might just be able to enjoy my coffee and Sunday  paper tomorrow.  It's supposed to rain (in buckets/hard) later today, so I can hardly wait to lie on the couch, with my book and listen to the pitter patter of drops.  Unless Doug decides to move the furniture or something.......

Awwwww--true love!                                                                           I found something interesting in going thru my boxes--of classified Friday Friend material---I found this from Doug (Barb's Doug)  It's his list of top 5 favorite movies.


Wait? What?  There is a movie version of Barb and Doug's Great Adventure?
Hmmm, Barb might have some 'splainin' to do.

The other Doug--April's Doug (and one of my favorite sisters-in-law, Cherrie) and Barb.



So, friends, My friends!  These are recipes, #332, 333, and 334 out of 361 (I'm 99% sure I have all the math down pat now)
2023 will be the year!!
(Although I'm slow going)

Then what will I do?


Cherrie Lou who's recipes here.   ( just cuz she's right there and she's cute)

And April's recipes here (because there is her Doug :)




















No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...