Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Coconut Macaroons


Every once in awhile, when you read a book, that you've never read before, you'll notice all sorts of allusions and references and quotes to the book happen all around you once you've finished it.
The question is...did this happen "before" you read the book, and you just didn't know it? You didn't realize it because you had no point of reference?

I have a circle of friends who get together every few months for a BBQ or potluck or lunch, but sometimes if we are asked to "bring a dish to share", inevitably two or more of us will bring the same or similar dishes. (we once had 3 hot artichoke dips at the same party).

These two instances above are examples of this post. I had been thinking of making coconut macaroons. I purchased the ingredients. I took pictures as I was making them.
And then.... I logged on to my blog.
There on my sidebar was an update from "Lori" of "Lori's Lipsmacking Goodness". She had posted about "Coconut Macaroons".

How odd is that? Is there really a collective unconscious? Do great minds think alike?

You'll have to check out Lori's cookies, they look great...better than mine. Mine taste great tho. Like "Mounds bars" in a cookie.
Our recipes are very similar, only she uses more flour...which I plan to do the next time I make these. Mine spread a bit too much.

My cookie recipe comes from this cookbook (so this can count as my cookbook goal also)

Rosie's Bakery
Chocolate Packed, Jam Filled, Butter-Rich, No-Holds-Barred, Cookie Book
by Judy Rosenberg





The Cookies are:
Chocolate Coconut Scoops


THE COOKIE
1 cup sugar
4 large egg whites
6 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups shredded sweetened coconut

THE GLAZE
6 oz. bittersweet chocolate
4 tsp vegetable oil

1. Preheat over to 350 degrees. Line one or two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silpat mat.

2. Using a whisk, vigorously stir the sugar, egg whites and flour together in a medium sized bowl. Then stir in the coconut.

3. Using a melon baller or a mini-cookie scoop, scoop mounds of the mixture onto the baking sheets, placing them 2-inches apart. Bake until the edges and tops just begin to turn golden, about 12 minutes. Cool completely on the baking sheets.

4. When cookies have cooled, prepare the glaze: Melt the chocolate in the top of a double-boiler placed over simmering water. Stir in the oil.

5. Place the chocolate mixture in a small deep bowl and dip the bottom of each coconut cookie in the glaze. Set them upside down (they will tip slightly) on a plate or rack and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

6. If you plan to snack on them the first day, place the cookies on a plate. After that, layer the cookies in an air-tight container, using plastic wrap, parchment or waxed paper between the layers and store in the fridge.



*******************
This recipe says it makes 14 scoops, but I got double that...without doubling the recipe. they must have a bigger scoop, than I do.

I only baked them for about 11 minutes. I guess you'll have to test your own to see how your oven works.

You'll notice that I dipped half the cookie in the chocolate and not the bottom. You can dip however you want. (or drizzle like Lori did)
I've done it both ways, so whatever you like to do is fine.
The cookies are even good without the chocolate.

8 comments:

Karen said...

I've noticed the same thing. Reading different blogs, sometimes it seems like everyone is making risotto, or something with bleu cheese or something with fresh ginger in it. These look good.. I haven't had a macaroon in ages!

Debbie said...

Oh do they look good. I always try to plan ahead with dinners, etc but then get sidetracked by something I see on someone else's blog and decide to make that instead!!!

Lori said...

They dont look better silly. I like the half moon chocolate thing going on here. I think yours look fabulous. I didnt know about this blog. I always look at your ahh soups. Now I know you got two food blogs going on! Whew thats a lot of work.

And I so agree that great minds think alike!

Cathy said...

Coconut macaroons are one of my favorite cookies. You've reminded me how much I like them, especially when dipped in chocolate.

The Blonde Duck said...

They look fabulous to me! I think that it's just great minds think alike!

Joie de vivre said...

I don't think it's a collective unconscious, just coincidence. The chocolate on these makes them look especially luscious.

Donna-FFW said...

Debbie- These macaroons look utterly delicious, I love them dipped in chocolate..

Joie de vivre said...

Debbie,
How about cheese cubes and a Perrier? That may satisfy your craving for Coke and Cheetos and would be real foods. :)

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...