Sunday, March 28, 2010

Cookbook Countdown and Weekend Cooking

I am making progress with my Cookbook Countdown. If I don't purchase another cookbook ever, and I make a recipe from 2 cookbooks a week...I should be thru my cookbook collection in about 4 years. That's Four years. I better get cooking.

This cookbook is from my mom's church. I use it all the time, it's one of those good "churchy" cookbooks, with everyone's best recipes.



As you can tell, this one is older....they typed everything up on a typewriter, made copys and put a spiral binder thru it...all themselves.

I'm not sure what "Koinonia" means. I think it's an Indian word--Native American. I'm not sure why they would use it.... maybe it means GREAT RECIPES!!

Inside the front cover is a very poorly photo-copied picture of my mom's church... the church I got married in 32 years ago.


We were invited to a BBQ, in hopes that the weather would turn nice--it didn't, and we were asked to take a salad. I made this macaroni/seafood salad to count towards my Cookbook Countdown. I'm also going to link to Weekend Cooking, a weekly meme hosted by Beth Fish Reads


Seashore Salad

1 Tbsp salt
3 qt. boiling water
4 oz salad or shell macaroni
3/4 cup salad shrimp or tuna
1/2 cup diced celery
1/2 cup sweet pickle relish
1/2 cup mayonnaise
chopped parsley
lettuce

Add salt to boiling water. Gradually add macaroni and cook until tender (about 10 minutes.)  Drain thoroughly.  Combine macaroni, shrimp, celery, relish and mayonnaise.  Toss lightly to mix well.  Arrange on lettuce in a bowl or on individual salad plates.  Sprinkle with chopped parsley.  Chill.



It was a good seafood/pasta salad. Not as good as my mom's, but then, she didn't put hers in this cookbook.


I would definatly make this one again, everyone seemed to like it. I've never actually used a recipe for a macaroni salad tho....
....this one had a lot more relish than I usually use. I usually use pickles, but the sweet relish was good with the shrimp.

6 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I bet my husband would love this recipe! Good luck making it through your cookbooks!

Shelby said...

The salad looks yummy!

Koinonia means fellowhip, communion and sharing. :) We have a church in this area that is called the Koinonia Church.

~~louise~~ said...

Oh how delightful, my first seafood pasta salad of the season and it sure looks GOOD!!!

You must be having a blast cooking through all those books. I wouldn't dream of taking on such a task. Lucky for me, you are!!!

Thanks for sharing, Debbie.

Joie de vivre said...

I have about 15 of these old church cookbooks that I never pull out! What a shame, I should do just that this week.

Cathy said...

I've found some of my best recipes in old cookbooks from churches, schools, clubs. They work their way to the back of the bookshelf and I forget about them. I know what you mean about recipes stacking up. I would have to live to 100 to work my way through the recipe box.

Holly said...

Hi just found your blog:) I added myself to follow so i dont miss anything!! Please3 come by to check us out-http://thepepperedpantry.blogspot.com/

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...