Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Cookbook Countdown and Musing Monday (even tho it's Tuesday)

I will get to my cookbook countdown as soon as I answer this....



When I was keeping up with my book blog, I always answered two "meme's" each week. Musing Mondays was one of them.
You are welcome to join along if you'd like...


Today’s MUSING MONDAYS post is about dust jackets.



Do you prefer books with a dust jacket? What do you do with your dust jacket while reading? Leave it on or take it off? (Question courtesy of Kim from Page after Page)

Well, I just leave the dust jacket on. I use the flip-in part of it for my bookmark. I don't worry about keeping the dust jacket in perfect condition, altho I know a lot of people do. I guess if the book was borrowed, I might remove the jacket, but I like my books to look "used" and "well-loved". All of the sudden I'm noticing book jacket art. It's really becoming amazing...have you noticed? I just finished reading "Very Valentine" by Adriana Trigiani. That has one of the best "Dust Covers" I've ever seen. It would be sad, to me, if Book Jacket Art goes by the wayside just because of new e-readers, Kindles and Nooks, etc.


*******************************
And now, on to the Cookbook Countdown!
It seems that chocolate chip cookies must be in the air...I made some on Saturday and then today, I came upon this blog post at Cooking with Christine    I cant' wait to see all her Chocolate chip posts.

Chocolate chip cookies must be the most popular cookie of all time. I keep searching for the perfect cookie. A little bit crunchy on the outside, but chewy on the inside. The Handyman likes a softer, more cake like cookie, so sometimes I will make a banana chocolate chip cookie for him, (the bananas keep them very moist).

As I started typing this, it all seemed very familiar to me....It seemed to me, that I had posted about these chocolate chip cookies before....and after further investigation, I HAVE. But... I didn't count it as a "cookbook" in my "cookbook countdown"    so I'm just going to go ahead and add this to my countdown blog.  I made the cookies, but didn't show my cookbook... as you can tell, it's very well loved and used.
It's the Beta Sigma Phi "Comfort Foods" cookbook.  Not for sale except if you are a member of Beta Sigma Phi in 1990.  It's one of those loved "community" cookbooks, where everyone sends in their favorite, their "tried and true" recipes.
For the recipe for my  Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies, just  click on this link.

This is Cookbook #16 in my countdown  (out of 200 20something cookbooks...I need to get on the ball. I'm getting older, I could die before this is all over ~grins~ )



The spiral binding is coming out.



I have written in the front cover, recipes I like.



And also used sticky note/tabs to mark things I want to try.

 
 
 
And made notes on certain recipes too. And this is kind of embarrassing. THERE ARE SPLATTER MARKS on the cookbook. (kinda gross too..... a thorough wiping down took place immediately after I saw this photo.... but it kind of reminds me of my grandma's cookbooks. And my mom's--very well used pages on very much loved recipes)
 
 
 
This is probably my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe. Now I can't wait to see what cookie Christine is doing today! ( I just peaked and it's cookie with bacon! Let's go check it out! )

4 comments:

Joie de vivre said...

My cookbooks look like this too. When I go to used bookstores, I try to FIND books like this. It means they were well loved and the recipes good. :) I leave the dust jackets on while reading. Even though I don't worry about keeping the dust jackets in perfect condition, I do think they protect the book a little more.

Karen said...

That looks like a good recipe. Cookbooks with stains are the best :)

Cristine said...

Great looking cookies! Thanks for the link to my blog. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...