Friday, June 18, 2010

Tuscan Grilled Steak for "I Heart Cooking Clubs"

When a job is once begun
Never stop until it's done
Whether it be great or small
Do it well or not at all.


I'm a horrible procrastinator. HORRIBLE. So, when I finally get to a job, I take the easy way out. Let me just say that when I was in school (college classes only last year), I waited until the night before to do my papers. And the sad thing is that I got A's. Or B's at the very least. (take note that this was English or Lit classes or Humanities, never ever math or science. I couldn't even do math and science in a week's time, but I was great at doing an English paper at the last minute. Or better yet, a speech. I'd take a speech 10 times before writing a paper)


But my point is this: I waited until the last minute and I was still good. I'm not trying to pat myself on the back, because believe me there are many things I am not good at, but most of the time, I can pull it off.


Along with that tho, usually comes a feeling of panic, like I'LL NEVER GET IT DONE! WHY, WHY, WHY? I NEED MORE TIME! My whole family stays out of my way at those times, as they are afraid of incurring my wrath. Which is totally unfair to them, since they don't know I'm just under pressure to get the job done...a job I should have done days ago.


But that passes as I do get it done and then comes a feeling of euphoria (defined here: a feeling of happiness, confidence, or well-being sometimes exaggerated in pathological states as mania. )
and I think pffft..... what was the big deal? I am good at this procrastinating stuff. And then the cycle starts again.


Why do I mention this? Because I've wanted to participate in "I Heart Cooking Clubs" for a while now (I did twice before....about 8 months ago, when they were featuring Nigella.  Now they are on to Mark Bittman), but I'm always a day late. The deadline for this weeks submission is Sunday, but I knew I had a million things to do before now and then....WHEN was I going to cook? WHEN was I going to post?


The Handyman came to my place of work at closing time yesterday. I met him with " WE MUST GO GET PORTERHOUSE STEAKS NOW!"
He was excited. He got to grill.  The theme was, after all, Dining With Dad.  He didn't know he was trying a Mark Bittman recipe.


Truth #1: I used the simplest recipe I could find off the internet. I don't have a Mark Bittman cookbook.

Truth #2: I just ordered Mark Bittman's "How to Cook Everything" (I figured that was safe because I can cook it should cover everything for future IHCC)

Truth #3: This simple (and believe me, it's simple all right) recipe I made of Mark Bittman's was.... OMG, to die for!   The sauce just made the meat taste...so much better.  I have never used a sauce or pan drippings on my meat--gravy, of course, but just a simple sauce? Nope.  But now, when I want to show off for dinner guests?  I'm making this sauce.


It was because I was procrastinating that I chose this simple, simple, simple sauce to put on Porterhouse steaks (which by the way, I had to sell my unborn grandchildren to be able to afford), but once again.... that procrastinating paid off, because this sauce tasted so good. SO GOOD.  I totally fell off my diet to have second helpings of this steak and sauce.  I'll pay next week, but it was worth it.




The pictures are not so good. You can see more of the roasted cauliflower than the sauce on the steaks. See the little drip on the plate? THAT'S IT! That's the sauce. Mmmmmm.....good.
The roasted cauliflower was good too. Seriously good. You can find that recipe over at my friend Karen's blog  Karen Cooks.   Be sure and check it out, because it's really worth it.


( I feel like kind of a cheat.... but... the recipe "is"  Mark Bittman's. I promise not to procrastinate next week)




Mark Bittman's Bistecca Fiorentina (Tuscan Grilled Steak) with Soy Butter.





1 2-pound porterhouse or T-bone steak, about 1 3/4 inch think.
Extra virgin olive oil
4 T. unsalted butter
1 T. soy sauce


1. Start a charcoal or gas grill or preheat the broiler; the fire should be quite hot and the rack 4-5 inches from the heat source. Brush lightly with olive oil and grill the steak for about 6-8 minutes per side for medium rare, turning only once (an instant read thermometer should read about 125 degrees F when inserted into the thickest part); cooking time, of course, will depend on the thickness of the steak and the heat of the fire.


2. While the steak is cooking, add the butter to a small saucepan over the grill or on the stovetop over a medium heat. When the butter just begins to foam, add the soy sauce and remove the pan from heat.


3. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and cut against the grain into 1/3-inch thick slices. Transfer the slices to a platter and drizzle with the butter sauce and serve.

That's it. There ain't no more.


*******************************************************************


Please indulge me as I recall (and post) a story from my past.... I am reminiscing today.... it is my 32nd wedding anniversary.



The year that OJ was running from the police in the white bronco on the LA freeways? That was The Handyman and my anniversary too.


That was the year the Handyman forgot.

I had been calling him all day and saying "I love you" and he had no idea why (in fact once he even said, in a grouchy voice, how much money did you spend?). Please note "the grouchy voice" as it stuck with him most of the day.


When The Handyman got home from work, I was on my way to take the boys to swim team practice, and he walked in in a very bad mood. He began to yell at Luke (who was 15 at the time) (okay...that REALLY dates me) for not mowing the grass like he was supposed to.


Luke said, "I forgot---no one wrote it down for me"


The Handyman said, "You're old enough to remember stuff without it being written down" (imagine a loud angry father voice)


and it went on....


I grabbed my purse, and my children to my breast (it's just fun to write breast, because really, they were teenagers and tweens, they didn't want to be anywhere near my breast) and we stomped out of the house as I said, 'HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!'   (his grouchiness was really annoying me)


As we were pulling out of the drive-way, The Handyman came running out the door laughing....and Luke rolled down the window and shouted, "Dad you are OLD ENOUGH to remember these things without them being written down!"


When we got back from swim team practice an hour later, The Handyman had mowed the grass for Luke. And then took us "all" out for dinner at a pub where we watched OJ and his friend being chased down the LA freeways.


Every year since that one Luke has reminded his father of our anniversary. And asks if his grass needs to be mowed.

8 comments:

Pam said...

LOL!!! Been there, done that and my family knows to stand back also. Your steak looks delicious and I will definitely be trying the sauce!

Karen said...

An entertaining post, as usual! That Anniversary story cracks me up. Who knew butter and a little soy sauce would taste so good! We hardly ever eat beef (venison, venison, venison) but I bet it would be good on... yup, vension, too! Thanks for the shout-out :)

Deb in Hawaii said...

Fun post and a delicious-looking dinner. A little steak now and then is good for the soul. Glad to have you cooking Bittman with us at IHCC. ;-)

Kim said...

Very cute story about your husband forgetting the anniversary! The steak with soy butter does look fabulous. I bet that butter added all the right kind of flavor to that steak:)

Heather S-G said...

Oh, what a great story...I loved this whole post, Debbie! I'm a total procrastinator, too... and yes, you should have no problem w/ HTCE!! You're covered for years with that one, LOL!! Your steak...and the cauliflower...looks amazing. I think the pictures are super tasty! So glad you finally jumped in and took the IHCC plunge. And HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!

Tiff said...

Such a funny story! I love that your son didn't miss a beat!
The steak looks great and one of the best things about Mark Bittman is that so many of his recipes are simple but delicious!

Joanne said...

Aww very cute story and happy anniversary! So glad you are joining us over at IHCC. I've been loving mark bittman lately, as is everyone else I think!

Those steaks look awesome. My family never makes them with sauce either, so I'll have to introduce them to this concept!

hjn said...

Are you kidding me...those steaks look to die for!!!
I can't come here any more...making me too hungry!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...