Friday, October 22, 2010

A Cooking class

I am here.  And I have so much to catch up on!  I have 5 food posts 'almost' ready to put up, but my big work event threw me for a loop and I'm just now getting back in the swing of it.  (sigh) I just have to face it...I will never, EVER, be as organized and efficient as all the food bloggers and book bloggers I follow.

Once I went to a lecture by the author who wrote  "the Kite Runner"  and "A Thousand Splendid Suns",  (I can't remember his name at the moment, forgive me) and he mentioned that he was also a doctor.
Okay... I can't dust AND vacuum in the same day (I can, but I'm using that for emphasis), how can some people be so accomplished, and organized and efficient!!???

Plus...I have a confession to make. (I used to write a lot of posts at work)...I can't use blogger at work anymore, not because I am banned, but the stupid computer won't connect to Blogger.  I am sure they have installed a highly secret mechanism that stops it.  I have to sit there and actually WORK all day....so I am left to only the evenings to write posts.
I know, I know....all you highly organized and efficient bloggers are shaking your heads and 'tsk-tsking' me and muttering 'she's trying to justify her laziness'.

Well, last night I couldn't write a post because I went to a cooking class.  My friends Betty and April  were both going, so I wasn't about to be left out!  (therein lies a problem...I want to do everything everyone else is doing: wine tastings, book clubs, cooking  classes,  high school football games, etc.  And then there is self-imposed things I do to myself;  I must walk every other day for the rest of my life or I can never have a coke again...and I really, really, really like cokes.  And I must play cribbage with my husband every morning before we go off to work...sounds dorky I KNOW, but it's kinda fun, and I listened to a woman say that it was a great way to begin the day together and focus on each other and my grandparents did it every morning of their lives.  Another confession; we only play every other day and we havent' even done that for a few weeks.  Mornings are hectic at our house.  My husband has to be to work at 7:00a.m. and sometimes, he only has 5 minutes to spare...I've been known to scream, HURRY UP, HERE'S YOUR DAMN CHEERIOS, NOW DEAL THE CARDS, IT'S GOOD FOR OUR RELATIONSHIP!! )

So, you see, why I might not have all the time you other guys do.

Remind me..what was I going to write about?  Oh yeah, my cooking class last night.
It was so much fun.  It took place in the Home-Ec room of the Jr. High.  For the record, the Home-Ec room looks like it needs some help.  We were not in a professional kitchen, and we used the Home-Ec room's pots and pans, which was an adventure in and of itself.

RAJUN CAJUN was the name/theme of the class.



There were 6 in the class and we each made 2 dishes from the recipe collection the instructor gave us  (there wasn't time or enough people to make them all) and then we all sat down to eat and discuss what we did, what we liked, and all that jazz. Thru-out the evening the instructor would walk around, answer questions and help us with what we were doing.
All in all, it was a very fun evening, very relaxed too.  And I discovered that I like Cajun food.  This comes as no surprise, of course, since I like most food.  It was just fun to put it all together and see how it differed from other regional dishes.

I had so much fun that now I want to make a themed Cajun dinner for all my friends!  But it will have to wait for a weekend or two, this weekend it's a Mexican themed dinner party (will post on Sunday) with a recipe from a new cookbook, so I can do Cookbook Sundays again,  a recipe from  Giada De Laurentiis for IHCC and  a pizza inspired dish for  Food and Flix and Something pink for the Power of Pink Challenge and a soup for  Souper Sundays.   Geez, it looks like I'll be cooking all weekend.  And then posting all night long.
But, it feels good to be back!

I took some random photos of the cooking class from last night....in the ancient Jr. High Home-Economics classroom.
(and a lot of them )  (I am not in any of them) 













5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I took one cooking class and loved it so I'm not sure why I haven't taken more.

My family plays cribbage, but my husband doesn't. I can't imagine trying to get a game in early in the morning!

Karen said...

You so funny :) Dang, you made a lot of food and it looks yummy. I wish they had something like that here.

Anonymous said...

You kill me! You're such a riot. I wholeheartedly agree with you about being organized. I can barely get it together enough to put up 3 posts a week and I don't even have any small children at home like a lot of bloggers who post 7 days a week! HOW DO THEY DO IT!? AND I post from work. Regularly (ssshhhhh...). I'm waiting for the day Blogger is blocked. I don't know what I'll do, lol! You make me feel normal. Thanks. :o) Boy do I wish you lived closer to Vegas! We could have fun wine-tasting our way up and down the Strip.

Jessica White said...

Yum!

You should setup your email to blog. That's what I did at work...I would just send my posts to my blog via a specific email address (you can set it up in blogger). Then you can still blog from work :-D Devious, I know.

Michelle B said...

So I read the menu and thought this was just one cooking class?! Was it 10 hours or something? I'm glad the dishes were split up. Otherwise it would have been stressful instead of fun. Which two did you make? And don't hold back! Which was your favorite?

I feel the same way...this week I have to make something for IHCC, The Royal Foodie Joust, What's on the Menu Wednesday, Tip Day Thursday.... And we just got back from vacation. Well, I don't HAVE to. But, well, you know!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...