Monday, April 18, 2011

It's Monday, What are you Reading? Musing Mondays and Bruce Hornsby

Just in case you want to know why I went to Reno and ate too much and drank too much....it was to see Bruce Hornsby.  And the Noisemakers.  It used to be Bruce Hornsby and the Range, but we all know: things change.  And the noise makers were quite good.
Who is Bruce Hornsby you ask?  He's a musician, song writer, he has  a jazzy, bluesy, folk, rock kind of sound.  He played with the Grateful Dead for a couple of years.

You might remember this:




We had  a wonderful time with our good friends--our Friday Night Friends--John and Robbie Milton.  It was her birthday and her son gave her 4 tickets to the concert.  I love her birthday, because we are always the lucky recipients of her gifts.  (ones like this anyway)
  *****************************************************************************************

This week’s musing (hosted by Miz B at Should Be Reading) asks…


What’s at the top of your must-buy list, right now? (or, if you don’t wait — if you’re more impulsive — what books have you recently purchased?)

My answer:  Well, in the 5 minutes before we left for Reno on Friday, I grabbed my Kindle and downloaded  "One Was a Soldier" by  Julia Spencer-Fleming.  I love her Claire Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series, and it became available THAT DAY.  And then, just in case, (in case I ran out of reading material on the 2 1/2 hour drive to Reno)  I downloaded  "The Virgin of Small Plains" by Nancy Pickard.  I had just bought  The  Scent of Rain and Lightning and read that it was the follow up book to Virgin, so I HAD TO HAVE that one too.
Then we went to Costco on Sunday before leaving Reno and I saw  "Save Me" by Lisa Scottoline, but I didn't buy it.  (I have been putting all my books onto Goodreads and my TBR pile is up close to 50)  I wanted to buy it, but I held off.
When we got home tho, I remembered that it is a new month and I had a credit on audible.com  so I downloaded it onto my Mp3 player!

Impulsive?  Yes.

**************************************************************************************


  It's Monday: What are you Reading is a weekly meme hosted by Sheila at Book Journey,  where  we share what we read this past week, what we hope to read this week…. and anything in between!





Last week, I finished, The Paris Wife by Paula McClain.  I liked it. The lifestyle of the ex patriots living in Paris in the early 20's is intriguing to me.  Nothing I could have ever lived, but intriguing all the same.  If you are interested in the life of Ernest Hemmingway,  Gertrude Stein, F. Scott Fitzgerald, told thru the eyes of Hadley Richardson  (Hemmingway's 1st wife), then you should read this book.  It's a novel, so much literary license is taken by McClain, but it's definitely a fun read.



And I started  "Girl in Translation"  by Jean Kwok.  This one is for my book club "Totally Lit". We meet next Wednesday. 



As soon as I finish this one, I will move on to... One Was a Soldier.  I can't wait!!



Have a great reading week!!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Glad you had a good time and the concert was good. I've been meaning to tell you... I like your new header :)

bermudaonion said...

I remember Bruce Hornsby and the Range but didn't know they'd changed their name.

I just bought Saints in Limbo at an author event.

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

The Paris Wife sounds good. I seen Rick Springfield this weekend... :)

Anonymous said...

I like your new header too Debbie - very nice! I almost bought Save Me last night and changed my mind but it's on my TBR list too. I downloaded 5 new books last night, the only one I can remember is the new Jodi Picoult one, lol. Now I'm all set for that 9 hour drive to my Mom's on Thursday.

Meg @ A Bookish Affair said...

I'm hopping through from It's Monday, What are you Reading?

Girl in Translation has been on my TBR list. I really need to get to it. My TBR list is crazy long!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...