Sunday, July 29, 2012

Summer Corn Fettucine



We all do this, I know.  (Those of us with cookbook  addictions, that is.) We buy a new cookbook,  look thru it,  make one or two things from it, stick it on the shelf and go on to the next new cookbook. 
There  are just too many cookbooks and too little time. 
Once in a while tho, we will pull something off the shelf a year or so later  and think to ourselves--why did I ever shelve this one?   I can't believe I put this one away without trying:  blah, blah a blah.

Don't tell me that you've never done this!  I know you have!

I see this recipe for Summer Corn Fettuccine,  every once in a while on a couple of my favorite blogs  (sigh---yes, it's Brenda  and Kim).  It keeps popping up as one of the  most looked at or the best or most favorite blog post in the last few weeks--even tho they made it last summer.  And this has been happening all year--I see it all the time.
So, I decided to try it this summer.  When something keeps popping up and saying 'TRY ME!  TRY ME!'  I figure I need to go with the flow and see what's its all about.
  It was fantastic.  Well worth the time and energy to post again (who knows, I could have one lone follower that they don't.... I could inspire someone. )


It can be  found in  my (or yours if you have one )  
 Rachel Ray's  Look + Cook cookbook.    I found  A TON more  recipes I want to try besides the Summer  Corn Fettuccine.
I can't believe I stuck it on the shelf without trying  more of these.  I don't know what I was thinking!!  I've bookmarked at least  4 more to try within the next couple of weeks.
I know,  I know....this is nothing new, the cookbook, I mean.   Rachel Ray has since come out with another new cookbook with tons more great recipes.   I don't have that one yet....but I do have a birthday coming up soon  (hint hint Handyman)

This was a really good pasta dish--made with sweet fresh corn and sweet red peppers and fresh basil.  It had  a distinct flavor--different from your average pasta dish.  There was just a smidge of a sauce made when you  blended some fresh corn with white win  (or chicken stock).  It made a  cream corn sauce  (kind of).  I love the taste of fresh peppers in things--all kinds of things. Who knew I would love them paired with pasta?  We just really loved the flavor.   I might add  a dash or two more hot sauce next time.  I also go easy on the hot sauce and then wish I hadn't.  If you like  a bit of spice, I suggest  adding a bit more.
It made a lot and since there were only two of us, we got to eat leftovers for lunch for a couple of days.  It made great leftovers.   I did serve it with some grilled chicken, but it isn't really neccessry, as it can be a meal in itself.  Especially if you are trying to cut back on your meat intake.




Summer Corn Fettuccine
salt
1 pound fettuccine
extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
6 slices smoky bacon, chopped
6 ears corn on the cob, shucked
3 shallots, finely chopped
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
black pepper
1 cup half-and-half or cream
2 T fresh thyme leaves
1/2 cup chicken stock or dry white wine
a few dashes of hot sauce or a pinch or two of cayenne pepper
a couple handfuls of chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh sweet basil leaves or 1/4 cup chopped fresh tarragon leaves

Heat a large pot of water to boil for the pasta. Salt the water and cook the pasta to al dente.

Meanwhile, heat a large skillet with a drizzle of olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Add the bacon to the pan and cook for a few minutes to crisp the bacon and render its fat. Place a small bowl inverted in a large bowl, steady the corn cobs on the smaller bowl, and scrape the kernels off the ears. Add three quarters of the kernels and the liquids to the bacon. Add the shallots and bell pepper to the corn mixture and season liberally with salt and pepper. Cook until tender, 5-6 minutes.

Add the remaining corn to the food processor and puree with the cream.

Stir in the thyme and the stock or wine into the corn mixture in the skillet, reduce for a minute, then stir in the corn-cream mixture. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes, stirring frequently, to thicken. Add the hot sauce or cayenne pepper and adjust the salt and pepper.

Drain the pasta, then toss with the sauce, parsley, and a couple handfuls of cheese, about 1/2 cup. Top with basil or tarragon and pass the remaining cheese at the table.
Serves 4 to 6

***************
I am going to link this to Weekend Cooking at  Bethfish Reads and also to my own  Cookbook Countdown.

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

My hubby would want the chicken with it. If I just served the pasta, he'd ask where the meat is. It looks delicious!

Beth F said...

This is perfect for summer. We'd like forget the chicken and make a salad instead. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, isn't it fantastic? It is funny that is continuously pops up as a "favourite" a year after I first posted it. I never even really thought of that. Wow! It's a great cookbook, one of my very favourites. Glad you enjoyed it!

Tina said...

Absolutely – you have inspired me to make this one. I saw it on Kim’s site and thought, gotta make this one. But I forgot.
This summer has been awfully hot but I still love a dish like this one!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...