Thursday, October 30, 2014

Black and Whites -- Cookbook #68




Sometimes I confuse the Handyman by having too many countdowns.  Besides counting down all the recipes made by my friends in the Friday Friend Cookbook,  I am also counting down my cookbook collection.
This recipe is from My Cookbook Collection-- cookbook #68:  The Neighborhood Bakeshop,  Reminiscences of America's Favorite Bakery Treats.
I don't want YOU to get confused too.  Keep it straight!  This is not rocket science.  

Okay fine---sometimes it's more confusing than rocket science (sigh).

Sorry.  I'm just like that.  Confusing.  Sometimes.  Don't leave me.



The inside of the book jacket says this:

Who doesn't have bakeshop memories - black-and-white cookies the size of flying saucers, napoleons constructed of flaky pastry filled with custard that oozed out the sides when you tried to put a fork to it, or far from-ordinary chocolate cake filled and frosted with dark chocolate pudding and topped with cake crumbs? The Neighborhood Bakeshop captures those memories and offers 125 recipes for America's favorite desserts from around the country.

I have to agree -- who doesn't have bakeshop memories?
This cookbook is full of all kinds of recipes for things that we loved as kids and still  long for as adults.
Yummy stuff!
Although, these cookies, Black and Whites are not a part of my bakeshop memories, I have always wanted to give them a try.
Black and Whites are classic two-tone frosted cookies that are a favorite on the Eastern seaboard.

While you can find these cookies  out here on the Western Seaboard (HA!  I've never heard that term before. I wonder why?) they are more like a shortbread cookie dipped in a glaze.  Hard and crunchy. Good, but not like this cake-like variety that is so popular in the East.



I am so glad I made them! 
It's a great cookie.
Soft and cake like--with a hint of lemon, not too sweet.
I will be making these again for sure.

East United States or West United States?
Are these cookies part of your memory bank?






Black and Whites

Cookies:
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp grated lemon zest
2 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup milk
6 Tbls unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

Frostings:
2 cups confectioners' sugar
At least 3 Tbls boiling water
1 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped
At least 1 Tbls light corn syrup

1. Preheat the oven to 350F.  Grease 2 cookie sheets

2. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in a small bowl. Set aside.

3. Beat the eggs and granulated sugar in a medium sized mixing bowl until smoothly blended.  Mix in the milk, melted butter, and vanilla.  Slowly add the flour mixture, blending into a soft dough.

4. Using a 2-ounce ( 1/4 cup) scoop, drop cookies 2 1/2 inches apart onto the prepared sheets.  Bake for about 15 minutes, until the tops feel firm to the touch.  Remove the cookies to wire racks and allow to cool to room temperature before frosting.

5. For the frostings, place the confectioners sugar in a bowl.  Add 3 Tbls boiling water and whisk to a thick, smooth, and spreadable consistency. Remove and reserve 1/3 cup of the frosting; use the remainder to frost half of each cookie.  If the frosting becomes too thick, add drops of boiling water until it is again spreadable.

6.  Melt the chocolate in a small bowl over simmering water or in a microwave oven at 50% power for  1-4 minutes, checking every 30 seconds. Stir in 1 Tbls corn syrup.  Add the reserved 1/3 cup white frosting and stir to a spreadable consistency.   Spread the bare half o each cookie with the chocolate frosting.  If it becomes too thick, thin the frosting with additional drops of corn syrup.  Set the cookies aside until the frostings set.

Yield:  10 cookies



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I grew up in the East and have seen Black & Whites in bakeries but I've never had one.

Tina said...

Black and Whites were part of my childhood! I would love going to a bakery and get to have my pick, a black and white was a frequent selection.
You did well with these. I see if I live near you I would have to walk a lot because of all the goodies you have!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...