Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Cookbook Countdown #90--The Pioneer Woman Cooks


My friend Louise hosted Cookbook Wednesday for years, but  she is not feeling so well, so it is suspended for now.
I am not taking up the weekly commitment,  I just have one of my cookbooks to 'count down' and I am going to do it on Wednesday and think of how great Louise's blog is and hope she is up to par soon!

The last time I shared a cookbook was in May!  I'll never get thru  all of my cookbooks at this speed!
This is number 90!
You can see them all so far if you click here.

**********

I love the Pioneer Woman! 
Her recipes are the simplest, yummy and made with ingredients you are apt to have in  your pantry.
I have 4 of her cookbooks and I really like them all.  Today  I'm sharing from her first cookbook:




Paula Deen meets Erma Bombeck in The Pioneer Woman Cooks, Ree Drummond’s spirited, homespun cookbook. Drummond colorfully traces her transition from city life to ranch wife through recipes, photos, and pithy commentary based on her popular, award-winning blog, Confessions of a Pioneer Woman, and whips up delicious, satisfying meals for cowboys and cowgirls alike made from simple, widely available ingredients. The Pioneer Woman Cooks—and with these “Recipes from an Accidental Country Girl,” she pleases the palate and tickles the funny bone at the same time.


I made this yummy blackberry cobbler.  I'm never sure if cobbler is a dessert or a breakfast dish, but I served this one up with some vanilla ice-cream



I guess tho, however you eat it, whenever you eat it, is all okay.
It's served a bit warm so that the ice-cream will slowly melt down into the fruit and crust/cake.  Mmmmm---it's so good!



Blackberry Cobbler

The Pioneer Woman-Ree Drummond

Ingredients                                                                      

  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 cup butter
  • 1 14 cups sugar
  • 1 cup self-rising flour
  • 2 cups blackberries (frozen or fresh or your favorite fruit)

Directions

Melt butter in a microwaveable dish.   Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. Butter a baking dish OR spray with  a non stick spray like Pam.

Now rinse and pat dry the blackberries, .). (Or your favorite fruit) Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. Sprinkle 1/4 cup  sugar over the top.

Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden brown and bubbly. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it's done.

Let cool slightly and serve warm. Or dig in with a fork if you can't wait, but make sure you have some vanilla ice cream and whip cream to put this cobbler over the edge! 






Mine didn't come out with as much crust as Ree's did.  I SWEAR it's because we live over 4000 ft over sea level.  There really is truth to making that baking adjustment people!


Would I recommend this cookbook?
Yes.
More than this yummy cobbler, it's filled with real food that's really good!  And simple to make.
Her BBQ Jalapeno Poppers?   To die for!
Her cinnamon rolls?  OMG!
And her Migas?  I have no words!

So, yes, I have tried more than one recipe from this book and I would say it's worth your money.
I only have one little problem---
She has a recipe she calls "Egg-in-the-Hole"
(where you crack an egg in the middle of a piece of toast and fry them up)
Well, everyone knows that those are called
ONE EYED JACKS.
Right?
Or is that just my Nevada-ness coming out?


No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...