Friday, August 26, 2016

I Heart Cooking Clubs--Curtis Stone-What's for dinner? (and cookbook countdown #91)


Yes, I realize I'm like that weird uncle who shows up every 3 or 4 years with gifts--the kids love him, the adults tolerate him, because he's family, but pretty much a wacko on the run.

Okay, this might be a tad bit extreme, but what I'm trying to say is that while I show up to "I Heart Cooking Clubs" once or 2x a year with well meaning intentions of joining in from now on-- there is a dedicated group of ladies who are there every week!  Every time!  Every Chef!
I'm just here for a visit.
I cannot commit to every week, but I'm hoping for every other week, because
I really do
LOVE this group, this idea, this club!

This 6 month time periods's featured chef is Curtis Stone and I just happened to have a cookbook of his on my shelf, so why not join in?

Wait, wait wait! 
To understand the concept behind 
It's great, it's easy and it's fun!


This is my cookbook...



This is the assignment....

Yep--we will do just about anything to not be sweating in the kitchen any longer than we have to be this month, so this week's theme has us in-and-out quickly!




Here is what I made.....
Shrimp Rolls with Herb Aioli






The result?
They are perfect!
Perfect for a summer evening --a light dinner or lunch--not sweating in the kitchen--and oh-so-yummy!


Shrimp Rolls with Herb Aioli

1 1/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I used salad shrimp)

1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 T finely chopped chives
3 T finely chopped scallions
2 t finely chopped fresh tarragon
finely grated zest of 1 lemon
1 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1/8 t cayenne pepper

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
4 good-quality hot dog buns, preferably top split.
2 T unsalted butter or as needed
1 1/2 cups finely shredded iceberg lettuce
1 red chili pepper such as Fresno or jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped, for garnish.

Prepare the shrimp.  (cook in salted water until opaque, drain)
In a medium bowl whisk the mayonnaise, chives, scallions, tarragon, lemon zest, lemon juice, garlic and cayenne pepper together.
Toss the chilled shrimp with the aioli to coat.  Season with salt and pepper.
Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
Heat a large griddle. Open the buns and spread lightly inside and out with butter.  Grill buns on all the buttered sides, turning occasionally for about 2 minutes or until toasted and golden brown.
Fill the buns with lettuce and top with the shrimp salad. Sprinkle with the chopped chili and serve.





We really liked these simple shrimp rolls.

Since this is the first time I've used this cookbook  (I have many of these on my cookbook shelf)  I am counting this as  #91 in my personal cookbook countdown.
To see the rest of them---the other 90 I've cooked from-- click here.
Go ahead--check it out--you want to see my cookbook collection, right?
If I keep on buying new ones--this will keep me busy  for the rest of my life.
And Beyond!!

10 comments:

Karen said...

Yum! Those look delish!

bermudaonion said...

Yummy!

Care said...

Oh YUMYUMYUMYUM

Katherine P said...

Oh those look so good! I can't eat shrimp anymore due to a food allergy that showed up in my 20s and I miss them so! Plus I can never resist an herb aioli. I love the idea of the Cooking Club but I don't think I'd have very good luck with being involved. I'm just barely treading water as it is!

Anonymous said...

Hot dang those look hella good!

Tina said...

That is definitely on my list of Curtis recipes to make. I love this cookbook. Can I come over for lunch?!

ostwestwind said...

I also used this cookbook this week. I love shrimp, unfortunatley organic shrimp are expensive. And yes, I know what you mean, I missed the last chef ;-)

Zosia said...

That looks like a delicious way to beat the heat!

kitchen flavours said...

Looks really delicious! Shrimps is a favourite in my house.
I am eyeing that book!

flour.ish.en said...

Guess what, I made a variation of this dish, a lobster roll with that amazing aioli. Glad you can join us!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...