Friday, May 12, 2017

Friday Friend Recipe #135 -- Celery Oriental





My Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown #135!
(#willreallyfinishthissomeday)


Barb's Celery Oriental

and you know all the whys and wherefores of this countdown, right? Homemade cookbook, friends contributed, Handyman said I couldn't/wouldn't do it, I'll show him, yadda yadda yadda....
...and the rest is cookbook history!



Please forgive the thoughts I was having when I began to make this, because....
This was really good!
Oh come on--- you are thinking the same thing I did--CELERY?
Really?  Celery Barb?

But both the Handyman and I  liked it.  A lot!
I would fix this with my mom's Teriyaki  Steak and some steamed white rice, with maybe a slice of grilled pineapple.
FOR COMPANY!
It's company good!

You know, it's funny, because I have two recipes from Friday Friends, in which celery is the main ingredient, and I thought (sigh) really?  For both of them, BUT they both are so good!! The other was a celery and bleu cheese salad from Theda.  Yummy!

But this... give it a try!
You won't be sorry.




Celery Oriental
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Slice 6 to 8 large celery stalks on the bias. Cook in boiling water till crisp-tender, drain.  Cook 1 cup  (or  more) sliced mushrooms in 3 T butter till tender.  Add celery and 1/4 cup toasted, blanched almond halves.  Toss lightly till hot.

(I think I added a couple dashed of soy sauce)


Hello again Barbara!
This is her 30th appearance in the Friday Friend Cookbook Countdown.  Check out all her recipes (and stories) here! (Just click)




Once upon a time we went to Marine World in Vallejo, CA.  This was back in the day before digital cameras and cell phones, so we took photos sparingly.  (and sometimes not so greatly). 
There I am pointing to a fish.  And Barb is proudly showing off the butterfly on her arm.




The Butterflies flocked (or is that bird terminology?) to Barb, when we went into the Butterfly Garden.



I am a bird girl myself and loved when the birds would sit on my hand and drink juice from the little cup I was holding.



And while we know this isn't politically correct anymore (in fact the whale shows are being phased out) we still did it....

We rode the Killer Whale!
And we had a great day!






This is recipe number 135.
One Hundred and Thirty Five!
Only  163 more to go!

2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This is too mushroomy for me. Y'all look like you have so much fun.

Karen said...

I have a recipe for celery and bleu cheese. Haven't made it in a looong time, but it's SO good!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...