Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Cookbook Countdown

It isn't as toasty brown on the top as the picture in the cookbook shows, but my family was hungry (and the tri-tip was done), so, this picture is as good as it gets for you.





Garlic Mashed Potato Casserole
Cookbook Countdown, recipe #24

 How can one go wrong with mashed potatoes and garlic?

You can't!!


I made this as a side dish to our Easter meal on Sunday. Our plans of going on a picnic were derailed when we woke up to snow. Yes, snow...on Easter. In April!
It also ruined my plans of attending an Easter Sunrise Service --outdoors. I was not brave enough to venture out and sit in the snow.


But with a nice warm fire in the fireplace, a book in my hand, and some warm mashed potatoes to eat with dinner, I had a happy Easter Sunday.


I got this recipe out of "Mary Englebreit's Queen of the Kitchen Cookbook".
It's filled with wonderful illustrations as well as wonderful recipes.




Garlic Potato Casserole


2 pounds baking potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
1/4 cup thinly sliced garlic
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
2 tablespoons butter
salt and pepper
1/4 thinly sliced green onions
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.

1. put the potatoes, garlic, broth and 2 cups of water into a large pot. Cover and bring the liquid to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to med-low and simmer for about 15 minutes or until the potatoes are very tender.


2. preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Butter a 2-quart baking dish.

3. set aside 3/4 cup of the potato water. Drain the potatoes and garlic. Return them to the pot and heat over medium heat, stirring for 1-2 minutes, until the potatoes are dry.


4. mash the potatoes, adding a little of the reserved water if necessary. With a wooden spoon, beat in the sour cream, butter, salt and pepper (to taste), add the remaining potato water, beating until the potatoes are soft and fluffy. Stir in 3 tablespoons of the green onions.


5. spoon the potatoes into the prepared dish. Sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese and drizzle with the olive oil. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until he top is golden brown and puffed. Sprinkle with the remaining green onions (which I forgot to do) and serve.

5 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Snow? Wow, it was gorgeous and warm here. The potato dish sounds delicious!

Chef E said...

Oh yum, garlic and potatoes in the same sentence is heaven to me!

What is this cookbook countdown link on my post and teach me how to do it, I tried and messed up another site, lol!

Karen said...

These look really good. Love the crunch on top!

Connie said...

That looks sooo good! funny that we both have potatoes this week!

Michelle B said...

This has some of my favorite foods in it: potatoes, garlic, green onions, sour cream. Wow!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...