Sunday, December 4, 2011

Banana Cookies


I have been collecting recipes for years.  I get them from friends and family and magazines and blogs.   Often I have been known to just randomly ask a friend if I can see her recipe box.   I will never live long enough to make all the recipes I have collected.  But I think I should try.



I keep my recipe collection  (which is different from my cookbook collection) in  notebooks that look like this  (below).  I used to have one with dividers for every category, but now I have 5.     Each category now has it's own notebook.
The other day,  I was looking thru the  "cookie" notebook and came across these Banana Cookies   made with a lemon frosting.  I  must have printed it off months ago and always meant to make them, but you know how we recipe collectors are--there is just never enough time.

The combination of lemons and bananas was something I had not  heard of before, so I was intrigued.    The Handyman was skeptical.   He likes  the banana cookies I usually make.
The cookies , without the frosting, were really great.  Soft and moist and just the perfect combination of spices.  We loved them!  

Then I frosted them.   The frosting itself was really good.  The tang of the lemon was perfect.  We just weren't thrilled with the two tastes together.   My son and his girlfriend on the other hand loved them.   So I sent them home with them.




But would I make them again? 

I WOULD.   Because once I gave them away, I wanted them right back.  Icouldn't get them out of my mind.  I craved them, once I didn't have them.  I yearned for that perfect banana and spice flavor and the tangy lemon frosting once they were gone.  I longed to bite into that soft cake like cookie once again.
It makes my mouth water even now, thinking about them. 

It's a  good cookie.  Try it and then if you aren't sure--try one in the morning with a cup of coffee.  You'll be hooked.




Banana Cookies with Lemon Frosting
1/2 cup shortening
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 cup mashed bananas
1/4 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
2 cups flour
6 oz chocolate chips  (optional--I didn't use)


FROSTING
3 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter
2 Tbs+ lemon juice (adjust until you have the right consistency)

Cream together shortening, brown sugar, eggs and bananas. Sift in soda, powder, salt, cinnamon, cloves and flour.   Mix thoroughly.  Stir in Chocolate chips if using them.

Spoon heaping tablespoons onto cookie sheet and bake at 350 degrees for  8-10 minutes.

Let cool and top with frosting if desired.


4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I'm not a huge fan of bananas so I think I'll pass on these cookies.

Michelle B said...

Debbie-you are so cute, you make me smile. I love that you randomly ask to see recipe boxes. I also love that once you gave these cookies away, you wanted them back.

Tina said...

That frosting looks good. I am a banana-holic and eat them all week. No low potassium levels for me!!
Pretty cookies, would go great with my afternoon coffee

Karen said...

I like bananas, but I'm not a big fan of anything made with bananas, like banana bread or cookies. I wonder how that happens? You'd think if I like bananas, then I would like anything that was made with bananas. I do like your frosting and your pictures are great! What kind of lens did you use for these pics?

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...