Monday, February 27, 2012

It's Monday, What are you Reading? (and I just joined the Stephen King Project)



It is Monday, What are you Reading is hosted by Sheila from Book Journey.

I haven't participated for a few weeks or more, so here goes:







I am reading It.  By Stephen King.



I really want to read 11/22/63, because I've heard such goog things about it from a variety of different people,   but while visiting my daughter-in-law over the holiday weekend, she mentioned that in  11/22/63, Kind alludes  to the setting (or story)  in the book  'It'.
So, now I have to read It first.  Because I'm like that.  I want to catch the references and say to myself...'ahhhh,  I get that'.
Of course, if you haven't read It, you'll  be fine and still think  11/22/63 is a great read. 
If I didn't know otherwise, I would too.  It's just that now I know that so I have to go back and read It.

Sadie and I kind of had a  "Who's on First"  conversation when discussing this.
The Handyman was on hand for said conversation, that went like this  (and he was very confused)

Sadie:  Do you have It?
me:  yes, I  have It.
Sadie:  Have you read It?
me:  no, I haven't read It, but I own It.
Sadie;  Well, you should go home and read It.
me:  Dang, now I have to find It.  It is in the "soon to be, someday" library room and it is a mess--the room, not the book.

Like I said--The Handyman was very baffled by us.

And so,  my daughter-in-law loaned me her copy of  11/22/63.  I went home and located It. 
And then I texted her: Holy crap!  It is 1090 pages long.
and she texted back:  LOL,  yes It is.

I am now on page 84.  It doesn't look like I'm making a dent in It.  (hey that sentence began and ended with the same word.  Is there a name for that?)
I am really enjoying  It.
I should have joined the Stephen King reading challenge, since I am going to be reading  a few of his books this year.  I wonder if it's too late?

**I just joined the Stephen King Project for 2012.  Check out all the info here.  I'm very excited,because as I said,  I am really enjoying It!

**********
Last week both of my bookclubs met. On Wednesday,  Totally Lit met to talk about  The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak.


In a note I wrote to  the Totally Lit girls the next day, I say:
We had a great time last night at Kay's house. Besides the great book discussion, we found out she is a gourmet cook. She'll say no, but she has a 'club' or a group of friends who get together once a month. Last month was her 'theme' and the theme was salt. We ended our discussion with a homemade cantaloupe and (?) sorbet with red sea salt. It was sooo good.


I am getting off course---but you know things I like: books, food, friends. I was in heaven!!
 
 
 
Now, while I LOVED the Book Thief very much  (and highly recommend it) the cantaloupe sorbet with red sea salt?  OH MY WORD.   It was really  tasty.
 
On Friday night my  Lit Wits group met at my friend April's house.   The Lit Wits do a dinner also, so April had a theme going on....
Greek Orzo Salad
Chicken Gyro Pita sandwiches
Devil's Food cake
....to go along with our book,  "Everneath" by Brodi Ashton.
 
 
 
Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever.
 
This book was just okay for me, but there were some members who absolutely loved it.  (I think part of it could have been my mood, as I had been sick all week and read the book on the day of bookclub, drugged up on Sudefed and Advil)  It was a  different spin on the story of Persephonie and Hades.   A young adult, very different spin.  
 
My most favorite part of  Friday night at the Lit Wits gathering was when we went around and everyone told about their favorite genre of books to read, and books they have loved.    I could do that forever. 



For fun I read  Henry's Sisters by Cathy Lamb.  (because it was recommended by  Sheila from Book Journey )  and really enjoyed it.  I chose it as the March read for the Lit Wits. 
I read it while driving  (I mean riding, of course) to California and back over President's Day  Weekend.  I loved that it took place in my neck of the woods--my growing up neck of the woods- The Pacific Northwest.






And before that I read Jerusalem Maiden by Talia Carner.  A good book.  I am so intrigued by the  Jewish traditions and religion.  I have a lot of appreciation for it and love to read novels and stories which lead me to a better understanding.

That about covers it as to what  I'm reading , or have read  lately.

Up for next week---probably just  It.


8 comments:

Jessica White said...

I've determined I'm not old enough to watch or read IT, but I did like Hearts in Atlantis by King.

I added the Maiden of Jerusalem to my TBR pile after you suggested it :-)

Nise' said...

Henry's Sisters is a good one. I've enjoyed everything Cathy Lamb wrote. Have a great reading week.

bermudaonion said...

The only Stephen King book I've read is 11/22/63 - I've heard there are a lot of references to his other books in it.

brandileigh2003 said...

I've been wanting to read Everneath, hope you enjoy.
Check out what I am reading here

Karen said...

I wanted to read 11/22/63, but 1000+ pages!? I can barely get through a newspaper.

Kristin said...

I have The Book Thief on my tbr list...I hope to get to it soon!

Have a great week! Here's my It's Monday Post if you'd like to stop by...I also posted a new giveaway today (see sidebar) that's open internationally.

Natalie~Coffee and a Book Chick said...

Welcome to The Project! It is not too late at all to join, anyone can join all year long! It's going to be a wonderful year, and I can't wait to read your reviews.

I read 11/22/63 at the end of the year last year and absolutely loved it, and I mean LOVED it. It was what motivated me to put together The Stephen King Project because I needed something to motivate me to read Stephen King all year long.

Again, welcome! Looking forward to your thoughts to It and 11/22/63!

Susan Lindquist said...

I love Stephen King, but he always traumatizes me when I read his books ... I will never be the same after reading The Stand. The Shining was a real creeper too. I applaud you diving in IT ... insert shivers here.

I have been reading Alice Hoffman's new one The Dove Keepers and am really enjoying it.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...