Saturday, February 25, 2012

Saturday Snapshot

Exposure Compensation.
Yes mam, that's what I'm talkin' about!

It would just be nice if I knew what it was.

Okay, I'm kidding (just a little bit) there..... I do understand it now.  I think.

For our photography class this past Thursday we had to turn in a picture.  Any picture that we had taken in the last week.  Anything at all.
We were going to talk about "tonealities"  (lights, darks, colors)  and how the camera wants to make everything gray, BUT  we can fix that with  "exposure compensation"

Take for instance this picture of cookies with a glass of milk.  I took this for my blog.  A lot of times I'll when I'm taking pictures of food, I'll use a white poster board so just the food will stand out.  I thought I was so smart.



Um....it's gray.  Look at that background!!!  It's GRAY!
And I thought I was so cool.   SOOOO cool, using my white background.  Of course, many of you food bloggers are way more savvy than I and already change your exposure compensation so you had white in the background and not gray.  I applaud you!!!

By the way,  my camera does have scene modes, but we are not allowed to use them during the semester.  He says that scene modes are useless anyway and we need to do it manually to get the best quality.

I know you didn't want a  photography lesson here....let me just say that we are really having a great time, the Handyman and I.   We go out to eat with our friends before class  (2 other couples and 2 women sans their husbands who didn't want to do the class).  Sometimes we have a glass of wine.  Just one. 
Funny that my son once got in big trouble for doing the exact same thing in high school!  (man, and they do say we regress as we age.  ~grins~)

This is the photo I turned in  (and yes, he put everyone's photo up on the screen so we could talk about the tonality.
This was a practically perfect picture.  Tonality wise--not composition wise.
The sky is blue, the whites are white, the darks are dark and the yellow is yellow.
(sigh)



Hmmm.... don't tell the teacher, but  that happened all by accident as I just did a  'point and shoot" without checking any of my settings.
He said that will happen  15% of the time.

I was one lucky duck.

I am linking this to Saturday Snapshot at  "At Home With Books".
It's a fun meme/roundup of ---well, of snapshots.

To participate in the Saturday Snapshot meme post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken and then link up.   Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see.
You should go check it out.

12 comments:

Karen said...

I'm lost. LOL I just usually point and shoot, too. Ha!

Mary (Bookfan) said...

I wanna cookie!!

And some milk!

Thanks for the lesson. I should take some classes. I have a pretty decent camera but most of the time I just point and shoot... my phone. *sigh*

Trish said...

Well I think those are perfectly fine photos. The cookies look scrumptious!

Alyce said...

I love hearing about all of the technical aspects of photography because I am so clueless about them (which is pretty ironic since I host the photo event, but oh well). :)

Eva @View from the Hillside said...

I just started my first photo course, and right now my head is buzzing with expressions like shutter speed, exposure compensation, aperture, and so on. We're also told not to use automatic settings, so I get some really weird shots sometimes when I've forgot to set something or set it wrong. But, I'm having a great time.
Lucky accidents are good :-)

Kaye said...

These shots are great. I think food is one of the hardest things to photograph. It is for me, anyway. :)

Staci said...

I'm a true point and shooter but the photography class sounds like fun!

bermudaonion said...

I can't figure out how to change the settings on our camera to fix stuff like that. I need classes too.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I should take a photography course. I'm more of a point and shoot gal...LOL Lovely job.

Irene said...

I love hearing your photo lesson, give us more info, so what should you do instead of the white board....?

Louise said...

I always point and shoot pretty much. I admire you for learning more.

Cheryl said...

I don't know anything about photography...but you've made me want cookies!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...