Friday, April 24, 2015

Big Driver

From Goodreads:
 Tess Thorne, a famous mystery writer, faces a long drive home following a book signing engagement. Advised to take a shortcut at the suggestion of the event’s planner, Tess sets out for home, well after dark. On a lonely stretch of New England road, her tire blows out, and when a man in a pick up stops, it is not to help her, but to repeatedly assault her and leave her for dead. Tess survives, and she plots a revenge that will bring her face-to-face with another stranger: the one inside herself, capable of gruesome violence
From Me:
3.5 stars from me!
I enjoyed listening to this short audio book by Stephen King.
It was gritty and there some were scenes in the story that made my skin crawl... not from King's usual creepiness, but from 'this could happen in real life evil creepiness'.  As I get older, I usually don't like to read about those kinds of situations,  but I did  like how strong the main character became...even tho, she, herself committed some atrocities. 
The narrator, Jessica Hecht,  did a good job of transitioning the main characters voice from the 'before' and 'after'.
I understand it was originally published in King's 2010 anthology; Full Dark, No Stars.
Lifetime also made this into a movie, or rather a TV EVENT (as it says on the cover).
Now I want to see the movie.  It looks like there are some great strong female characters.  


2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I love King's writing but haven't been brave enough to try one of his creepy stories yet.

Tina said...

I will admit it, I am a baby! This one might be scary for me. Don't forget I live in a very rural area and when I am on my own, every noise will have me jumping after reading this!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...