Sunday, October 25, 2015

Food 'n Flix -- Boogers on a Stick (yes, I really made them!)

 
 
Food 'n Flix is a group of bloggers who get together every month to watch a movie, and then head into the kitchen and mix up something inspired by the flick. 
There is always room for another pillow in front of the tellie, and another chair around the table. So if you're a blogger who wants to join in the fun, please feel free to jump in at any moment.
 October's  Flick was chosen by Elizabeth from The Lawyer's Cookbook.   She  chose to the movie Hocus Pocus!  One of my very favorite Halloween movies.
check out her announcement post here---and play along next month!
 
 
 
I do have to say, this isn't the most creative thing I've ever done. I mean, I just picked my nose. 
NO, I didn't, really, that would be too gross.
I just dug out the ear wax out of my ear.
TOO GROSS FOR YOU?
Well, I raised three boys and nothing was off limits at the dinner table.
I developed a very strong stomach.
 



 
 
I took my boys to go see Hocus Pocus the very first year it came out in 1993.
We drove to a town 12 miles away because it was not shown in our little theater.
We all loved it.   Me in particular. I mostly love that the fall colors are so vibrant. Nothing like we have in Nevada (or central CA where we lived in '93).
Last week, after watching the movie for Food 'n Flix,  I sent a copy of this movie to all my grandchildren.  I haven't heard their verdict yet.
 
There isn't a lot of food references but food is all around, right?  Can't you just see Boogers on a Stick at the dance?  Or at the very proper Halloween  party at Allison's parents?  Nah, probably not there.
How about the bullies?  If I were to speak in 'kid' speak about my treat, I would say that I hope the bullies got to eat boogers!!
(I need to stop saying boogers, don't I?)
 
 
 
I am headed down to Arizona to spend Halloween with 2 of my grandchildren, where we will watch this movie,  carve pumpkins, and  have some Boogers on a Stick, because they will LOVE IT! (the movie and the boogers.  They'll be laughing the whole time)-- that's really where I got my inspiration. 
I just wanted all of them to have fun and make great memories.
 
 
 
And then, after we eat a couple boogers on sticks, (sorry)  we could have some of this
"Retching Ralph"
punch.
 
I made this one with strawberry daiquiris, because I wasn't with my grandkids, yet!
 
It's supposed to look like vomit.
YES vomit!  I mentioned that I raised 3 boys right?
Drinking vomit is perfectly normal around Halloween time. 
 

 
For the verdict?  My verdict.
The Boogers were okay.
Ralph's Retch was really good!
Yep, it had chunky stuff in it.  You just have to get over that.
 
 
I have had this little cookbook on my shelf every since my boys were little and I would make cat poop cake for them.
(I love a good celebration...and what brings people together more than food?)
So as I was watching Hocus Pocus earlier this month, my mind turned to this and I thought--why not?
Hocus Pocus reminded me of Gross Grub.
And all of it reminded me of family and making funny memories together.
 
So, I will also count this as #81 in my personal Cookbook Countdown.
 
 
 
Do you really want to see the recipe more clear?
Really?

 
(sigh)
okay then...
Cheeze Whiz in a jar, green food coloring and pretzel sticks.
microwave Cheeze Whiz and add food coloring.  Dip pretzels in it and set on waxed paper.
The boogers in the book are bigger than mine.  I had a bit of trouble getting big ones. 
 
Ralph's Retch
 
strawberry Jell-O
ice cubes--crushed
strawberry soda  (or a strawberry daiquiri)
 
add alternately to a glass,  crushed ice, Jell-O and top it with soda.
 
Mmmmm...  sweet gloopy goopy puke.
But it tastes really good.
 



















10 comments:

bermudaonion said...

Our street puts a big screen up in the cul-de-sac to watch movies and sporting events and they watched that movie last week, while I was at the beach, so I missed it.

Michelle said...

Great movie, but yes, my stomach turned just a bit at your grub. It brings back too many memories of being sick myself. It sounds like everyone had fun though and that is the most important thing!

Heather S-G said...

OH MY GOSH - I am cracking up over here! This is hilarious Debbie...I love the way you think. I know your grandkids will have a blast with these. So much fun :)

Kimberly said...

Funny, creative, something I wouldn't have thought of. And a hard movie to get a food vibe from.

Elizabeth C. said...

I never thought boogers could look so delicious!

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

This is the funniest post I have read in a long time. Thanks for starting my day off with a belly laugh. I am going to look for this cookbook. What fun!!!!

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Wow, those boogers look very...realistic ;-) I do like that drink, even if it is retched lol. Enjoy seeing the movie tonight.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Hahaha. How many times did you write "boogers" in this post? Love it. I know your grandkids can't wait to see you and eat boogers on a stick! You are one cool grandma, I am sure!

Deb in Hawaii said...

I love your post--too fun! And I love your 'gross grub'--that book looks hilarious and I think both treats are perfect for the film and for any Halloween festivities. (BTW--I think your boogers are more realistic than the larger ones shown in the book!) ;-)

Amy said...

Hahaha - as a mom of boys, I can totally relate! My boys would get a kick out of this!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...