Monday, October 26, 2015

It's Monday! What are you Reading?

 
 
It's Monday! What Are You Reading? is a place to meet up and share what you have been, are and about to be reading over the week.  It's a great post to organize yourself. It's an opportunity to visit and comment, and er... add to that ever growing TBR pile!
It's Monday is hosted by Kathryn at Book Date.
 
Today I will finish up Salem's Lot.
I've taken part in a Read-a-Long #SalemAlong and it's been a lot of fun to see everyone's reactions.
I LOVE Stephen King--just sayin'
 
 
 
And tomorrow I'll probably finish Doll Baby.
It's soooo different from Salem's Lot--I feel I am in two different worlds as I go back and forth
(one on audio, one in print).
I'm liking them both.
 
 
 
This past week I read  Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee.
I had to do it---for book club.
I didn't want to do it.  I was NOT going to do it.
But---it's book-club and the whole point is to read things out of our box, chosen by members and then discussing it.
(sigh). 
Julie from Smiling Shelves actually helped me decide --- she told me that this was Harper Lee's first draft of Atticus and he wasn't fully developed until  To Kill a Mockingbird.
And to just keep that in mind.
So, I did just that.
And guess what?
I liked it.
(THERE!  I SAID IT!)
I listened to the audio version read by Reese Witherspoon.  She did an OUTSTANDING job!
No, I wasn't exactly happy with Atticus, but he also wasn't 'evil'. 
He was just a man.
3 stars.
 

From Goodreads:
Maycomb, Alabama. Twenty-six-year-old Jean Louise Finch--"Scout"--returns home from New York City to visit her aging father, Atticus. Set against the backdrop of the civil rights tensions and political turmoil that were transforming the South, Jean Louise's homecoming turns bittersweet when she learns disturbing truths about her close-knit family, the town and the people dearest to her. Memories from her childhood flood back, and her values and assumptions are thrown into doubt. Featuring many of the iconic characters from To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman perfectly captures a young woman, and a world, in a painful yet necessary transition out of the illusions of the past--a journey that can be guided only by one's conscience.

Written in the mid-1950s, Go Set a Watchman imparts a fuller, richer understanding and appreciation of Harper Lee. Here is an unforgettable novel of wisdom, humanity, passion, humor and effortless precision--a profoundly affecting work of art that is both wonderfully evocative of another era and relevant to our own times. It not only confirms the enduring brilliance of To Kill a Mockingbird, but also serves as its essential companion, adding depth, context and new meaning to an American classic.  
 
 

4 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I've pretty much decided not to read Go Set a Watchman. Now I have to hope my book club doesn't pick it.

JoAnn said...

Wow! There's quite a difference between Salem's Lot and Dollbabay. I can see why it feels like two different worlds. I'll probably end up skipping Go Set a Watchman...

Kathryn T said...

I'm not going to read Go Set a Watchman although if I did it would be the audio version. Great you are loving your reads.

Nise' said...

I enjoyed Dollbaby. I am also not planning to read Go Set A Watchman.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...