Saturday, October 28, 2017

Saturday Snapshot


Saturday Snapshot is hosted by

To participate in Saturday Snapshot: post a photo that you (or a friend or family member) have taken then leave a direct link to your post to West Metro Mommy Reads!   Photos can be old or new, and be of any subject as long as they are clean and appropriate for all eyes to see. How much detail you give in the caption is entirely up to you. Please don’t post random photos that you find online.


I'm reading a book (Imagine that), This is Where you Belong by Melody Warnick, and in one chapter she talks about place attachment and how we come to love where we live and/or where we are from--where our roots are.
Data suggests that people from rural communities form more place attachment than those from urban communities.  I don't know if that is true or not, BUT I do know that while I'm not a HUGE outdoor activity person, when I look back and think back to "my place/my people",  it's likely to be the mountains or the desert. Wide open spaces or forests--different, yes, but both the outdoors, quiet, no crowds, nature.
I don't want to live on a farm or ranch -- there is too much work involved--but I love them so much whenever I see them.
I love the country, but I'm not country!  Does that even make sense?  What am I? 
Kind of late in my life to try and figure that one out 😍

Here is what I love--Wallowa County, Oregon, where my great grandparents came out  in a covered wagon from the Midwest, where they fell in love with a place,  homesteaded a ranch, raised cattle and grew wheat, where they raised a family,  and that family became part of a community.  And all of us-- 3, 4 and 5 generations removed feel a sense of 'place attachment'.  Lucky us!
Interesting tho... my great grandmother always said she felt claustrophobic because of the mountains, she felt closed in after being raised on the plains.  That's a huge argument --- trees and mountains or wide open spaces?
I'm so glad I love them both.
Lucky me!

The Handyman and I spent a week at our cabin earlier this month, and I always make him take a drive thru the country side.
(and he always makes me take a  hike or two)


Can you see the rainbow over the little town of Enterprise?


And for some reason, I'm in love with cows.  But I only like them in a pasture.  I don't decorate with them, collect them, or pet them.
I love to eat them (sorry) and take pictures of them whenever I see them.

So, I was taking photos of the cows in the field when all of the sudden the birds arose and took off!  They startled me, as I was not expecting them.



Besides cows we saw a Llama just sitting in a field.




I guess even in the middle of nowhere--Facebook is important.



And always--Deer by the cabin.


And those are my Saturday Snapshots for today!



4 comments:

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Beautiful photos of a lovely part of the country. I love the outdoors, too, and go on walks and hikes -- rain or shine -- every chance I get. Wallowa County, Oregon, looks like a great "place attachment" locale.
My Saturday Snapshot post features a visit to Carpinito Bros. Pumpkin Patch.

bermudaonion said...

Just gorgeous - I can see why you love it so much.

Stefanie said...

That's an interesting fact to learn about. I'd like to explore Oregon more. Carol Herman of Knit Equals Joy always visits places in Oregon and I'm curious about her home in Salem.

Sue Jackson said...

Gorgeous photos, especially the first two - what a beautiful place!! You are lucky to be able to spend time there - enjoy!

Sue

Book By Book

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...