Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Tortilla soup-Again!




There are so many variations of Tortilla Soup!
And I think I've collected all of them.
I've been on a cleaning out and tossing--taking to Goodwill and giving stuff to my daughters-in-law kick lately, and this is one area I really need to  clean out and toss-- my many recipe cards, pages torn out of magazines and those quickly handwritten on the back of envelopes variations of Tortilla Soup.
No person in their right mind needs as many as I have, so I'll throw away the ones I don't like and keep just a few ...  the trouble is, I've never had a bad one.   So, I'll just keep the ones I absolutely love, right?  The trouble is, I think I love them all. Absolutely!!

Oh well... 



This recipe comes from a torn out page of a magazine. On the bottom of the page it says "Southern Favorites", so I am assuming that I tore this out of Southern Living Magazine or Taste of the South.
It's really, really good. 
One of the best I think.


Tortilla Soup
from Southern Living Magazine or Taste of the South 

Vegetable Oil
1 (11.5 oz) package corn tortilla-cut into strips
1 tsp salt
1 onion chopped
1/2 small red bell pepper-seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper-seeded and minced
3 cups cooked chicken--shredded or chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 (15.25 oz) can whole kernel corn
1 (14.5 oz) can petite diced tomatoes
1 (10oz can)  diced tomatoes and green chilies (I used Rotel)
1 T chili poweder
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt

Garnishes:
Shredded Jack cheese
Sour cream
cilantro (optional)

Cook tortilla strips in hot oil until lightly browned and crunchy
salt with 1 tsp salt
set aside

Soften onion, and peppers in oil for a few minutes. Combine the rest of the ingredients (except garnishes) and cook on low for a few hours.

Serve in soup bowls with garnishes of your choice, topped with tortilla strips.


I love lots and lots of the tortilla strips!  And I do love them fried like this.  Some recipes have you just add the corn tortilla strips without frying them or just crush some tortilla strips on top.
While all those are fine, I prefer them this way!
Yummy!


I think this Tortilla Soup tasted particularly good because it is the first soup of the fall, and we had a freak September weather turn--- we had snow!

Nobody in town is ready for this.  Nobody.
Okay, one friend, Gina, she is ready for this, but really, out of 8,000 people, I think she is the only one.




So it felt good to go home and have soup!
It made it taste extra special.




No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...