Monday, August 25, 2008

TWD: Chocolate-Banded Ice Cream Torte


Tuesdays With Dottie...I mean Dorie

(my husband is confused and it is catching!)




Well, here I am, well into week #2 of my TWD challenge. This week was "Chocolate Banded Ice Cream Torte" chosen by Amy of Food, Family and Fun
( http://foodfamilyandfun.blogspot.com/ )
Friday Friends....stop by and check out her blog. ("old" blogger alert! I don't know how to have a link without putting up the whole address --sigh-- I need my kids to come home from college.)

This recipe was not hard, it was just time consuming. Definitely something you needed all day to make. Which made for a nice Sunday. I fiddled around in the kitchen, cleaned up some e-mails, fiddled around in the kitchen, went to church, fiddled around in the kitchen, cleaned the bathroom, fiddled around in the kitchen... you get the picture.
IT WAS TIME CONSUMING.
And the raw eggs kind of creeped me out. I have to be honest.

So much so, that I only ate part of one slice, while watching my husband and friends devour theirs and ask for more.
My husband ate another piece the very next night...I didn't.
On Saturday morning on the Food Network, the new show, "Ask Aida" was all about eggs, and she said that if they were fresh, a little bit was okay. But still....I just couldn't.

The ganache (was it ganache? the recipe never says ganache) was easier than I had thought, but I agree with some TWD bloggers, that 30 minutes was not enough time to freeze it good. My ganache layers were tacky to the touch, but I went ahead and put on my ice-cream layers, because it was so TIME CONSUMING.
and I had invited friends to dinner so it only got to freeze for 4 hours at the end. It really needed the 6, I believe.
And cutting it to take pictures? HA! The warm knife made my torte begin to soften and melt.
No good pictures here.







oh my gosh...that is a sorry piece of torte! Really....it needs the whole 6 hours or more of freeze time.


So....my synopsis? It was easy, but very time consuming and the egg issue bothered me. (there were 8 raw eggs, for crying out loud!)*
So much so, that I wouldn't have known how good it was unless I had watched friends and family enjoy it, complimenting me about how it was the best dessert they've ever had! And then they all said it was a good thing I had joined the "Tuesdays with Dottie" (my husband has everyone saying it) challenge.
*sorry. I don't have many food issues at all. None in fact...except expiration dates and well... I guess "raw eggs".
But it was FUN to do. I think I'd make it again, but find a different ganache recipe and maybe put some different ice cream like some of the other TWD bakers have done.

12 comments:

Nancy/n.o.e said...

Yeah, the egg thing bothered me more than I thought, AND I even used pasteurized eggs! The rawness and the eightness...
Nancy

Cathy said...

Your layers are just a vision to behold! I know that it is an ugly emotion, but I can't help it -- I have serious layer envy. I was also bothered by the raw egg thing even though I, too, used pasteurized eggs (but did that stop me from devouring the torte? No it did not.) I'm glad it was a hit with your family and friends!!

sj said...

yum. totally yum. raw eggs and all :)

Well done! Looks delicious :)

Eleganza Strings/ The DeLadurantey Family said...

I thought the ganache was too rich..........we used vanilla ice cream.

Anonymous said...

Yours looks pretty. I love the color of the ice cream. I know what you mean about the eggs. I can't stop thinking about them. I said to my kids, "Just eat the ice cream and forget about the ganache."

Maria said...

I think your torte turned out great!!

Anonymous said...

Your torte pics are gorgeous! Look at those perfect layers. I forgot to check the chocolate and wound up smearing it with ice cream, but your layers are awesome. Great job!

Kate said...

"Tuesdays with Dottie"- that made me laugh out loud. too fuuny!

Jules Someone said...

Your torte is lovely. I didn't make the recipe this week, partly due to the ick factor with all the raw eggs.

Prudy said...

It's beautiful but I'm with you on the eggs. I just kept thinking, maybe the freezing process will kill any suspect germs?? Glad it was enjoyed by others.

SmilingSally said...

Tag, you're it! I can't wait to see how you respond to the quirky tag!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the egg thing is just craziness! But seriously, your torte is GORGEOUS!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...