Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Mom's Korean Chicken

My mom's Korean Chicken. Yum.

It's only a marinade really, but when I was young it was always the "dish", the "dinner" (or supper, depending on where you're from) and we all came running when my mom was making it.... just smelling it cooking now brings back all kinds of great memories.
And it's the simplist thing in the world.
For some reason, we never had the marinade on any other type of meat. Chicken was it. It was "Korean Chicken", never chicken with the Korean (which I'm sure it isn't) marinade.
To be honest, I haven't made this in years, but I plan on making every recipe in the "Friday Friend" cookbook, and my mom sent this one in and when I saw it, it brought me back to my childhood... which was oh so long ago.
This dish is pretty much a 'comfort food' for me. We always had it with steaming hot white rice and fresh peas, which is what you see me doing here.
It's been a really hectic couple of weeks, so it felt really good tonight to come home to a clean kitchen, meat marinating and everything practically ready to go. I just stuck it in the oven and joined my husband outside on the patio, with Monroe the Basset Hound, to enjoy one of the last nice evenings--they're slipping by fast!



I love fall, but I really start to miss my kids in the fall. I wonder if my mom, after all these years, misses me more ( I know she always misses me) at a certain time of year? So, I'm cooking one of her dishes to make me feel closer to her.

I envy everyone who has family close by.
Fall brings with it good "comfort food", the hectic "back to school" time, football, the holidays are looming, not to mention such pretty colors and the fact that our sweatshirts will be needed any moment now. Wow.
I love fall.... I just wish everyone lived closer to me, so I could cook for them. Those boys....they love my cooking. :~), don't you? boys? Boys?
Sheesh, they've never left me a comment.

okay....here is what you do.

get a chicken. Cut it up.
Wait a minute! How many people cut up their own chickens anymore? I don't, but I could. If I had too. When I was growing up, tho, my mom always cut up her own chicken. It used to be more economical that way.


So...either cut up your chicken, or buy boneless, skinless breasts like I did here.
Take all of your marinating ingredients and mix them in a mixing bowl.


Pour over the chicken (I use a Ziploc bag)


let marinate at least 4 hours or even overnight


place on a baking sheet. (it's better to grease this, or spray with a non-stick cooking spray so you don't have to scrape the baking sheet all night long) (and notice that I used a foil lined baking sheet this time...less clean up)





Bake at 325 degrees for 90 minutes (depending on size of your pieces)


wow...I should have invited friends over for supper. There is enough to feed a crowd!
Isn't it "ironic" that my pot holders have a "chicken" on them? I thought so too!

Serve with steaming hot, white fluffy rice and fresh peas (or frozen peas, but never, NEVER canned for this recipe)


Then, you can have some pumpkin cookies for dessert!!
(next post)


Korean Chicken
4 lbs chicken cut up into pieces
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sugar
2 T. oil
1/4 t. pepper
1 t. hot sauce (like Tabasco)
Dash--garlic salt, onion salt and accent

Combine all the marinade ingredients and add the chicken. Marinate for at least 4 hours, or even overnight. Bake, uncovered at 325 for 1 1/2 hours

4 comments:

Jessica White said...

That sounds delicious! I'm always looking for new and exciting ways to cook chicken (my husband could eat it everyday...I can't).

I'll have to try this one.

sj said...

This look wonderfuL! Must try this soon :)

Southern Plate said...

Thank you for this fabulous entry into the first edition of the Carnival Of Simple Family Favorites! The carnival edition is up and can be found here

Tina Butler said...

Umm that sounds good. I am always looking for a new way to grill chicken. Great entry in the carnival.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...