Monday, August 31, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #71 Family Occasion Quiche





Friday Friend Recipe #71: Family Occasion Quiche
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said, "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him! Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #71

Theda's
Family Occasion Quiche




When I make a dish for the countdown, I don't just do it for the countdown, I am usually having people over at the same time.
Sometimes---okay, most times----it's very difficult to entertain AND take pictures for a blog post.
And that is why my pictures are not the greatest.  They are not 'staged'.  They are set down in front of company and I whip out my camera and say "excuse me, I just need  little photo of this."
Most of my friends are used to this by now, but  once in a while, I will come across a friend---usually a husband of a friend, who  doesn't understand what I'm doing and  he will get a look of weird confusion on his face, as I am photographing the meatloaf, or quiche in this instance.
The reason I am pointing this out is because of the color design in the photos.  My red checked table cloth and my green and yellow polka-dot plate.
Great combination!
Oh...and burnt bacon.  If I staged, I would never have burnt bacon in the photo.



It actually wasn't really as burnt as it looks---it was a sweet bacon with a sprinkling of brown sugar on it, but it did get very, very brown.
Pretend you don't see it and just look at the quiche instead.
MMMMMMmmmm!
The reason I had people over for this was---that I had a BONUS book club.  I wanted to read and discuss "Station Eleven", and it wasn't my turn in ANY of my book clubs.
So, I invited them all to read this book and then to brunch.
I will post about that soon.
I served this delicious quiche from my friend Theda!
Are people snobby when it comes to quiche? Well if so, you can certainly be snobby about this one, because it's SO GOOD.
Everybody said so.  Even the Handyman, who gets the leftovers.




Family Occasion Quiche
FF Theda  Pansevisius
Tualatin, OR

crust:  1 cup flour
1 cube softened butter ( 1 stick, 1/2 cup)
1 softened 3 oz pkg cream cheese

Mix together and press into pie pan

quiche:  8oz grated jack cheese
8oz grated swiss cheese
8 slices bacon (crisped and crumbled)
1 bunch of sliced green onions
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs slightly beaten

Mix together and spoon evenly into crust.  Baked until completely brown on top, at 375F for about  30-35 minutes.

**you can add any of the following:
crab
shrimp
ham
cooked broccoli
aspargus


(why didn't I pull the plastic wrap off the brown sugar?)
(I told you---it's more about the friends than the food/blog/photos, right?)

And now, you get to meet Theda! Again!
This will be her 11th entry in the Friday Friend Cookbook (see all her recipes here), atho we haven't seen her since June 10th.
I wonder what she has been doing?
Oh...maybe camping?
At the coast?*

*on the west coast we say we are going to the beach or the coast.  We don't say shore.
My friend in PA always says shore....they went to the shore.
I love regional differences.

Here is something I envy. ENVY.
Theda and John have gone camping with the same group of friends on the same weekend in August for well over 25 years.
They are now on the 3rd generation of campers.

The Handyman and I will do something for a few years and then for some reason, it fades away and we will reminisce about how much we liked that. Not so with Theda-- she makes that weekend happen!
I think they just have a standard reservation at their favorite campground and whoever can show up shows up.
I don't think they've missed a weekend in the past 25 years.

Here are a few pics of  a different camping trip---  a trip to the coast.
The Oregon coast.
The best coast in my humble opinion.





I don't know what she's making there in her trailer --- it could be this quiche!
Does it look like it?
It was a great quiche!












1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

I bet the cream cheese and sour cream make that really rich! I want to be in your book club!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...