Sunday, August 23, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #69 -- Cheesed Spuds on the BBQ



Friday Friend Recipe #69: Cheesed Spuds on the BBQ

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said, "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him! Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #69
 
Barb's
Cheesed Spuds on the BBQ




You can't really see the Cheesey spuds here, but you can see how many packets of them I did for a BBQ, the other day.
This was the same day I  did the Sassy Meatballs and my grandchildren loved them!?  They also love the idea of putting their own potato chunks in foil, and sprinkling the cheese one and having their own special packet.
 
It was Parmesan cheese, which melts into the potato, so it's hard to see, but I am sure if you wanted to throw some cheddar on there, it would be great too.
 
I read somewhere that potatoes are possibly the perfect food to put in a foil packet. 
I have to agree.



Cheesed Spuds on the BBQ
Barb Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Pare and cube potatoes. Place individual servings on foil sprayed with Pam. Sprinkle each with onion salt, celery salt and grated Parmesan.  Dot with butter.
Seal foil into packets.
Cook on grill for about  30 minutes.
Turn frequently to avoid burning.


This is Barb's 17th appearance in the Countdown.
See all her recipes here.
 
You'll be seeing  a lot more of her.  I think that I'll have to do a Barb recipe every other time to keep up!
 
My family has a cabin in Eastern Oregon,  by Wallowa Lake,  in the Eagle Cap Wilderness, and one time, about 18 years ago, we took Barb and  her husband Doug, their daughter, Kim.
(we would take them again, but schedules and many miles separate us all, and more miles separate the cabin.  One day---fingers crossed-- we will do it again)
 
On this trip, they had to do a day's drive from California and then the next day we all had another day's drive up to the cabin.
The Brown's are game players and when you travel with them, one must play along  (not that we mind---it's tons of fun!)
We had 8 people and two cars, so on our 7.5 hour drive to the cabin, the rule was that every time we stopped (to use the restroom or have lunch), someone in each car had to switch places.
 
With the Handyman, that would have been 1 time.  1 stop.  1 switch.
 
Now, the Handyman is practically perfect in every way.... except when it comes to car trips.  He won't stop.  Not ever.  Unless gas is needed.
I've just learned to adapt over the years.
 
Not so, Barbara Brown.
We had to stop every hour!!
That was 7 times!
So, the switching was fun.  We all laughed and car hopped around and separated kids who didn't really love that, but ???  It was part of the game.
 
But 7 potty stops during a 7.5 - 8 hour trip?  Makes the trip  9+ hours!!
Even I was a little bit like---Barb?  Seriously?   ~insert smiley face right here~
 
Then I learn that during business trips, the Handyman ( he and Barb worked for JCPenney for many years) ---  would actually stop for Barb!
WHAT??
He stops for Barb, but not for me?
There is something wrong with that practically perfect Handyman!
 
Anyway, it was much fun and silliness doing the car hopping.
And yes, we are adults.  Just making a game out of life.
 
This photo (Barb is sitting)  is on top of Mt. Howard -- a very, very high mountain, in which you have to ride a tram up.  Then we did some hiking around up there. 
 
 
 



Doug was shadowing his wife!
And I'm not sure what they were doing.
 
Showing off some hazy farmland below?
 



And this concludes recipe #69
in the countdown where the Handyman, by challenging me to this, ensures he gets to eat once in a while.
 
 






No comments:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...