Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #67 -- Asian Broccoli Salad



Friday Friend Recipe #67: Asian Broccoli Salad

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.

I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #67

Barb's
Asian Broccoli Salad





I had the best day making this salad.  I made 5 things out of the Friday Friend Cookbook that day.
It was a complete Friday Friend supper!
A couple of these pictures were taken after the salad sat in the dressing for a bit.  The color changed, but not the crisp-tender of the broccoli.

There are so many Broccoli salads out there (just wait! More to come in the countdown) and I think they are all good.
This one is particularly easy.




Asain Broccoli Salad
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Steam broccoli until crisp-tender.  Toss with sliced water chestnuts and the following dressing:

1 T brown sugar
1 t soy sauce
1/2 t sesame oil
4 oz rice vinegar
1 oz canola oil
1/4 t black pepper
(dressing is also good on green salad)




The Handyman is not fond of textures.
I mean.... for instance, in a fruit salad, he doesn't like bananas and apples to be in the same bite.
That's how he feels about water chestnuts.  He doesn't like them because they crunch. 
But this time the broccoli was crispy/tender so it was okay!
This would be a great one for a Potluck.
It's quick and easy to make and like Barb says,  the dressing is delish!



This is my funny fact about Barb today:
She thinks it's fun to diet.
You heard me.  She makes a game out of it.  And she loves all things game!
She once said these words to me:
It's been so much fun trying to find good recipes on this plan.

She had a great time cooking diet food!


This is Barb's 16th recipe in the countdown.

And this is my 67th one I've tested and tried!



2 comments:

bermudaonion said...

What is wrong with the Handyman? I love broccoli and water chestnuts - I bet they're wonderful together!

Tina said...

I like this take on broccoli salad, giving it the Asian Flavors. I will eat the Handyman's share 😊

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...