Thursday, August 6, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #65--Shrimp Chip Dip


Friday Friend Recipe #65: Shrimp Dip

Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.

AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.

I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.

Which brings me to this... recipe #65

Barb's
Shrimp Dip





The Handyman is a great cribbage player.
He plays every Friday night
(omg--we are sounding like old people!!!!)
with our Friday Night Friends  when we have our Friday night dinners.
But on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, he plays with me!
And sometimes we have snacks.
One of these snacks was Barb's shrimp  dip.


I've been making this since I met Barb--23 years ago.
It's a great one to take to a potluck or even an office party.
It's easy and has cream cheese! Everyone likes cream cheese.
It's a crowd favorite!




Shrimp Chip Dip
Barbara Brown
Buckeye, AZ

Blend together;
8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup mayo
sm can drained shrimp
diced onions and celery to taste
onion and celery salt to taste.

Refrigerate.




Barbara Brown.
The  editor/typist of the Friday Friend Cookbook, 
(I am the publisher and overseer)

You should know her by now, as this  is her 14th time in the countdown. 
Click here for a complete rundown of all her recipes.

You should also know that she lives in Buckeye, AZ.  You can tell, because I say it every time I write up a recipe from her.  And also by  the look of her back yard below.
It just looks all "Arizona-ish"

Arizona has a football team, called the Cardinals,  but Barb proudly sports the Seattle Seahawk shirt!
We are Washington State born!
(still proud fans even after last year's Superbowl flop)





Years ago, when our kids were younger, we (The Browns and us) would have a weekly football pool.  
And we had to choose who would win each game that week.
Nobody in the family (families) was immune.
From the  8 year old up to the 50  year old, we were all expected to participate in the FOOTBALL pool.
It was quite exciting for a few years.

Barb's husband Doug and my husband Rich kept a chart.
A huge chart-- on games, who was playing who each week, who voted on which team, who was ahead in the standings  (I mean out of us).
We had to name ourselves.
the Handyman named himself  "the Rottons"   (Rich's Rottons)
Barb's son Mike named himself the Mongols.  (Mike's Mongols)
 I can't remember my name, but I do know that Rich's Rottons came in high in the standings each week.

And then at the end of the season---one of us had the glory of winning.

That was it.
The glory.
Of winning.

With the Brown's, everything is a  friendly competition.
One New Year's Eve, we all sat around and guessed at what the first 'natural disaster' would be in the coming year.

It's really weird to get a phone call from your friend in which she is yelling
'THERE'S A BIG TORNADO IN NEBRASKA!"
I WIN!! I WIN!!

It's just the glory of the whole thing.
Winning.

That, and it doesn't take much to amuse us.
Not that a tornado amuses us.... you're taking this wrong!  We don't want a tornado---but one is going to happen. We just want to be the ones to call it first!


I am not competitive tho.
It's Barb who is.
I just go with the flow.
Really.

1 comment:

bermudaonion said...

That recipe looks perfect for book club.

I love cribbage and wish I could get someone around here to play it with me.

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...