Monday, December 28, 2015

Friday Friend Recipe #89--Veggie Bars





 
 

 
Friday Friend Recipe #89: Veggie Bars
Making my way thru my Friday Friend Cookbook, one recipe at a time.
What is the Friday Friend cookbook: I have about 50 of my closest friends and family on an e-mail forum which I called the Friday Friends (from all over the county). At first, most of them didn't know each other, (they knew me) but over the past 15 years, we've answered and shared silly--and serious---questions, exchanged Secret Santa Christmas gifts, had a dieting contest in which we paid a $1 a week and that money went to a scholarship fund for a Friday Friends son's memorial scholarship, and we went on a great vacation for my 52 birthday.
 
AND, we contributed recipes for a cookbook.
 
I was looking at the cookbook the other night and I said, "I should make every recipe in here for my blog."
The Handyman--who knows me better than I know myself (this happened to be a question on the Friday Friend forum once---does your spouse/partner know you better than you know yourself?)--said,  "you'll never, EVER do that."

WELL---maybe I'll show him!  Maybe I will.
 
Which brings me to this... recipe #89
 
My Mom's 
Veggie Bars



This appetizer was very popular at the turn of the century....about 15 years ago.
I don't see it much anymore, but it's still great.
I wonder why great things come and go?
My mom used to make it all the time, and it was once dubbed by my brother's friends VERY GOOD.  (I can't tell you what he really said---but suffice to say, he loved them)
 
You could actually use any type of vegetable you'd like---it would work with anything.



Veggie Bars
My mom, Bev Hambelton
 
 
2 tubes of refrigerated crescent rolls.
3/4 cup of mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
2 pkgs  8oz cream cheese
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup chopped green onion
3/4 cup diced tomato
3/4 cup chopped broccoli
3/4 cup chopped cauliflower
3/4 cup sliced carrots
3/4 cup shredded cheddar
 
Cover the bottom of an 11x17 baking pan with sheets of crescent dough, patting and stretching to fit.
Bake at 350 for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
Combine mayo, sour cream, cream cheese and dressing mix.
Spread over cooled crust.
Distribute veggies evenly over the crust.
Sprinkle cheddar over all.  Cover with plastic wrap & push veggies lightly into crust.  Refrigerate--cut into squares and serve.
Yummy!


 
My mom has appeared 12 previous times in the countdown.  She liked recipes and cookbooks almost as much I do.
 
My very first nightmare---was one of my mom.  Well, of Indians.  The Indians had taken my mom and were going to burn her at the stake.
I GUESS I DON'T HAVE POLTICALLY CORRECT dreams!   But I was 5.
I must just seen part of an old western movie or something as I can't account for any reason I would think the Indians were going to kill my mother.
 
This picture has nothing to do with my nightmare or even of Indians, but my mom used to be a big teaser and she would tease my dad and I think in this picture he is thinking of shoving her into the swimming pool.
It's just a thought.
(he never would have, he adored her, but the look on his face.... ??)
 
We were a my niece's wedding. NOT their granddaughter---from the Handyman's side of the family.
It was a beautiful outside/backyard wedding.
 
 
 
And that my friends is recipe #89 in the countdown.
 
Coming up are some Taco Squares from the publisher
(typer upper of the recipes) of the Friday Friend Cookbook, Barbara Brown. 
 

My 2016 goal is to post a FF Recipe at least once a week.  Then maybe I will be close to finishing.
 
But then...what am I going to do with myself?






3 comments:

bermudaonion said...

I think everyone's always searching for the next great thing so recipes, like everything else, come and go. This one sounds easy.

Vance went through a phase when he was 4 or 5 when he had a recurring nightmare that I was run over by a steamroller. Go figure.

Kathy Walker said...

A most unusual appetizer. I don't think I have ever heard of it....but it does look tasty!

Kay said...

I seem to remember eating and making something like that back before the 'turn of the century'! You made me laugh with that phrase. I read it and then looked again at the dish and thought, wow, didn't know they used broccoli in the early 1900's. Am I showing my age?? I don't think about 2000 as the 'turn of the century', even though it is. LOL LOL

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...