Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chicken Vegetable Bake

Chicken Vegetable Bake
from...my mother in law!

This really is the easiest thing in the world to make, but it looks like you slaved all day.
Roasted chicken and vegetables is really all it is...but a different take on how it's put together.

About 10 years ago, my mother in law, Teresa, put together a family cookbook and gave it to everyone as a Christmas gift. It was fun, because my in-laws let the whole family know they were going to do this project in January, so all year long we were all sending in our recipes.
And we are a pretty big family.

This year for Christmas, I will make copies of the family cookbook for my 3 sons and 2 daughters-in-law, to give them for their own collection.

Chicken Vegetable Bake

1 3-4 pound chicken or chicken parts
3 T. vegetable oil, divided
salt and pepper to taste
2 large onions, sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth
5 large potatoes, cubed
1/2 pound small whole mushrooms, cleaned
5 large carrots, sliced
4 stalks celery, sliced

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Brush chicken with 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in a roasting pan and brown for 20 minutes in oven. Meanwhile sauté the onions in remaining oil, until nicely browned. Stir in the chicken broth.
Remove chicken from oven. Place potatoes, mushrooms, carrots, and celery around the chicken (or on top of in my case) and pour browned onions over all. Lower oven temp to 350 degrees. Cover the chicken and veggies and bake 1 1/2 hours.

The browned onions enhance the flavor of the chicken and other vegetables. Good served with a green salad and hot rolls and dessert.
From the kitchen of Teresa Belcher.

** you can use any combination of veggies you want to roast. I added some brussel sprouts and kept my potatoes whole and had 2 different types of mushrooms.
I also didn't cover them... I let them "roast" and get good and browned.

1 comment:

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...