Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cranberry recipes wanted

On my way to Reno on Friday, (to do some Christmas shopping), I was listening to the "Martha" channel on Sirius Radio. (I have 162 miles of pretty much nothing but high desert to drive thru), and they were having a cranberry relish contest.
There were only 3 that they were judging...
one had rum, one had red currant jelly, one had....something else. I can't remember.

I got very excited about cranberries, let me tell ya. And I was thinking, that I need to have a cranberry contest....or a themed party. I'm big on themed parties. My bookclub will be having a 'congealed salad' party in December. Inspired by Christy at Southern Plate's Congealed salad. But mostly by her Mom shaking her head and saying "because it's a congealed salad", when asked why they just don't call it a Jell-O salad. So, in honor of that, we will all be bringing a congealed salad to share.

But, back to the cranberry..... how do you make yours?
Relish or Sauce? Family secret?
Recipes please.

I found that Tina at "Mommy's Kitchen" has a good recipe that I might try. Check it out here: http://tinamommyx3.blogspot.com/

But I want more. MORE, MORE.... who else has good cranberry recipes?

6 comments:

Tina Butler said...

First off Thank you so much for including a link on my cranberry sauce. Its pretty basic if i get to estravagant most wont eat it. I am more of a daredevil and would explore different relishes but I have people with basic palets. LOL I do have a cranberry recipe that i did not get a chance to make and post. I will be making this around Christmas. It is Holiday Cranberry Salad. I love southern plate and I have a congealed salad recipe to. I will have to come back next month and post it. Here is the creanberry recipe.

Holiday Cranberry Salad

1/2 lb Fresh Cranberries
1/2 Cup Pecans (broken)
3 - Cups Mini Marshmallows
1 – Cup Crushed Pineapple (drained)
1 – Cup Sugar
1 - Cup (half pint) Whipping Cream

Chop cranberries in food processor or blender. Chop while frozen to prevent splattering. Mix together cranberries, sugar, pineapple, marshmallows and nuts. In a separate bowl whip whipping cream until stiff peaks form. Fold into cranberry mixture and chill overnight.

Southern Plate said...

hehe!!!
Mama always does have the last word! LOL
I am going to get my Cranberry bread recipe up this week after reading this!!!
Thank you!!!
I make mine with cranberries, pineapple, and oranges. I'm weird. :)
but my GOODNESS doesn't Tina's look awesome????

I've never listened to sirus radio...i am so out of date!
hehe
Christy

Debbie said...

Thanks Tina. That looks good. My family (of men) won't eat congealed, jell-o or fruit salads any time but the holidays, but I love them, so I tell them that the whole month of December is a holiday...and they have to it what I fix.

Christy, Tina's cranberry sauce does look awesome. Most times simple is best. I can't wait to see your cranberry bread!

Debbie said...

Just in case anyone's checking out the comments... I know there must be hundreds of you! Well, okay, only a few of my friends, who don't leave comments because they don't blog and only check this out because I TELL THEM TO. (sigh), but nevertheless, 2 links to good cranberry sauces and/or relishes.

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/

and

oops....let me get right back to you.

Debbie said...

I'm back. I really need to take a "how to do/design/and manuever around blogs" class.

Another good link to cranberries...

http://agoodappetite.blogspot.com/2008/11/cranberry-horseradish-relish.html

Debbie said...

and another good one....

http://briannalee.wordpress.com/2008/11/27/cranberry-sauce-with-pinot-noir/

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...