Saturday, November 29, 2008

A Sophisticated Palate

I must not have one.. a sophisticated palate, that is. Sometimes I think I do...then, uh, nope.... give me some good old-fashioned fried potatoes and onions, and I'm good to go.

If the truth be told, I like it all. All food, any food. I love to taste new recipes, dishes with an international flare, trendy new ingredients, and then I get so excited when someone gives me some very common and everyday fare. (woo hoo... my mom's meatloaf!)

But back to my so-called sophistication when it comes to food.
Last week, I was watching "Nigella Feasts" on the Food Network, and she made some butternut squash with blue cheese.
Okay, I thought....I like butternut squash, I like blue cheese...WOW, a new Thanksgiving dish.

I must have been swayed by Nigella's accent and her use of "sensual" words when it comes to describing food
(everything has ... insert a British accent ... a little bit of naughtiness or is gloriously juicy. The list goes on)
But again, I digress.
I made it. Nigella's squash dish.

She said to... roast the butternut squash (okay, good, we love oven roasted butternut squash..ESPECIALLY the Barefoot Contessa's method) and then, when you take it out of the oven, sprinkle crumbled blue cheese on top and a few pecans for good measure.

It looked good. Kind of Blue cheese smelly tho... it was noticeable...and since I have only men at my table, I heard the words "THIS STINKS".
Well, honestly ....it did. I cannot lie. But only the Blue Cheese kind of stinky smell.....come on guys, be more sophisticated!
They tried it. I tried it.
It was okay. Not bad.
But I knew the men at my table were thinking...and I was wishing the same thing as them...
why couldn't I have just used a bit of butter and brown sugar?
The more "bourgeois" way to eat squash.
and an extra picture of my Thanksgiving vegetables. (I didn't know what else to do with it. LOL. As any other food/recipe blogger know...we have tons of pictures of "food". )

3 comments:

sj said...

I wondered about that recipe... I was almost seduced into making it myself! Sorry it didn't knock your socks off... but thanks for being brave and trying it... so I don't have to now :)

Happy belated thanksgiving!

Shelby said...

LOL, I'm with Jo...now we don't have to try it ;)

Your post actually had me chuckling and Grumpy and his brother are "what's up with you?" he he. They wouldn't "get" it.

Debbie said...

LOL....yes, I'll save the bleu cheese for salads from now on. My husband doesn't get it either when I'm giggling over blogs. Go figure?!

Friday Friend recipe #352

  Making my way thru my  Friday Friend Cookbook , one recipe at a time. What is the Friday Friend cookbook?  I once had about 50 of my close...